*Buff Orpington Thread!*

View attachment 1080578 My two other hens started pecking my BO to bleeding today :(
Her vent is bleeding now. Any suggestions?

1) Separate/isolate her from all other chickens.

2) Give her the spa treatment - warm bath with Epsom salts. Make sure her vent is included in this. You may have to empty a refill several times, either due to dirt, blood, or poop. Do this until the area is reasonably clean and free of blood.

3) What you do at that point depends on what the injury looks like when cleaned up. You may want to clean the would at that point with hydrogen peroxide, or dab with iodine. A little lanolin (main ingredient of feed store's hen wound care cream) around the vent might be nice, but might just be nice and sticky. If it turns out to be very superficial, you could just spray Blue Cote.

4) When she is healed and ready to be reintroduced, isolate one of the bullies. Knocks them down a peg, and she only has to deal with 1 not 2.

I'm having a bad month. Latest is what I noticed last night on the roost... (warning - graphic)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hens-comb-ripped-cockerel-probably-did-it.1187104/

I think I'll have to cut off the hanging portion of Lucy's comb. :(

The sweet 4 year old BO is much more pleasant that my other patient (healing from a broken leg).

Last edited:
She also could be hiding them...

I thought my Peaches had taken a break. (Easy to recognize her eggs - they're shiny.)

Then one day I found her stash - 8 eggs. Well, Easter egg hunting isn't so bad if you know where she's hiding them, right? A couple of weeks after that, she has a shell less egg, so she's decided the corner of the coop is a better place. *shrug* Go figure.
I looked everywhere, no eggs. Going on day 10

Awww...the poor dear.
You most likely will need to cut off the hanging portion of her comb.
BTW- I have a BO named Lucy as well!

That's what I'm thinking. :( She keeps shaking her head, trying to get the hanging part out of her face. I was thinking of packing the comb in dressings to sort of immobilize it, but the only way to do that is to make a bonnet out of vetwrap. But no chickens keep their head still for me, and I'm currently having problems with dexterity. (Right handed and my wrist isn't working correctly. Can't whisk an egg, barely able to use a spoon, etc., and dr can't figure it out.) Potential helpers are my neighbor with MS and my 11 year old. :barnie

Yes, it's that bad a choice. So I'm thinking about which cutting implement would be best to do the job... Before she damages herself more.

IMG_1839.JPG

This is Florence. She is one of my two Buffs and just happens to be my favorite.

@smudge Wrap her in a towel to "confine" her so she doesn't flop around on you. Use a very sharp pair of scissors - sterilized with alcohol. Have something like flour or cornstarch on hand to help control any bleeding.

Provide her with some vitamins in her water for a couple of days and extra protein like beef liver, egg or tuna.

Here's a couple of video on "dubbing" which is cutting/trimming off the comb, wattles, earlobes, etc. - this is normally done on gamefowl for show - different breeds get a bit of different "styling". Dubbing is also done when there is injury like your girl and sometime when a bird has severe frostbite. Hopefully these will give you some tips.

@smudge Wrap her in a towel to "confine" her so she doesn't flop around on you. Use a very sharp pair of scissors - sterilized with alcohol. Have something like flour or cornstarch on hand to help control any bleeding.

Provide her with some vitamins in her water for a couple of days and extra protein like beef liver, egg or tuna.

Here's a couple of video on "dubbing" which is cutting/trimming off the comb, wattles, earlobes, etc. - this is normally done on gamefowl for show - different breeds get a bit of different "styling". Dubbing is also done when there is injury like your girl and sometime when a bird has severe frostbite. Hopefully these will give you some tips.

Thanks! I think I can find a sharp enough pair of scissors somewhere around here... Do you think it'd be enough just to go by where it's torn? I certainly want to keep the undamaged part.

Back
Top Bottom