Buff Orpington VS. Isa Brown

bucknkick97

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Michigan

Hello All,

It's a long story. Basically, my dad decided to hatch out some eggs while i was gone under our broody Bantam and he can't tell if the eggs came from Isa Browns or Buff Orpingtons (we have both). The chicks have hatched and two are yellow and one is black and white (we call them penguin style chicks) and the rooster is a Black Austrolorp. At first from the pictures, I thought they were Orpington eggs, but now I am having doubts. Could someone please show me a picture of a Buff Orpington egg next to an Isa Brown egg? thanks!

-Amber

PS. the picture shows the actual eggs that were incubated.

The Orpington egg will be paler. If those are the eggs above then four look Orpington and the two farthest right look ISA.

If you have yellow chicks then there were indeed ISA eggs in there. You won't be able to tell from the black birds as the ISA and Buff will produce those when covered by Australorp. Black over ISA will result in white and black chicks. Buff mother results in black.

Black birds will grow out black with red/buff leakage. The yellow will grow out white, again with leakage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom