Buff Orpington, waterfall feathers are round not pointy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JakRat, Aug 24, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    SO I had previously posted on this little "guy" and was told boy. But after looking at his feathers more I see that his saddle feathers are round and not pointy. His comb has stayed the same for about two weeks now. Gotten a bit more red on the wattles, but thats about it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Him as a baby... super cutie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    How old? Roos don't typically start getting their pointy saddle and hackle feathers until around 3 months old. Even then, the feathers may not be obvious since they will come in underneath the existing juvenile feathers. I'm still seeing a lot of baby fluff on your little one so I don't think it's old enough yet to show/have the pointy saddle and hackle feathers if it is a male.

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:ah got it! He is only about 2 months old.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2
    That comb still says roo.

5. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    Rooster. My little cochin didnt get his pointy feathers til 14 weeks. I think Orps have cochin in them.

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I just read in on of my poultry magazines that someone said they sex there chicks 100% by looking at their tail feathers when they are 1 to 2 weeks old and if the tail feathers are 1 to 2 inches long than they are boys and the little girls have hardly any tail feathers,so I have 11 babies a week old and looked at them and she was right some had a lot longer tail feathers,they are bo babies.Now will wait and see it this works,So I am saying you have a rooster.

7. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Quote:x2
    That comb still says roo.

yep

8. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Just wanted to add that my BO roo's saddle feathers are much more rounded than my roos/cockerals. He is about 20 weeks old and is most definitely roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by