Buff Orpington with swollen, puffy eyes. New to chickens.

chicken_babe_nu2this

Hatching
10 Years
May 17, 2009
YourLinkGoesHere

Ok. So I am new to chickens and have only had my small flock for about 4 months. I have never had a sick chicken or used antibiotics. One of my Buff Orps has puffy, swollen eyes, almost shut. She sleeps a lot too. Do I move her out of the coop and quarantine her? Any ideas what this could be or how to treat? I would appreciate any help from all of you experienced chicken farmers. Oh yea, She seems to have runny stool too. Thanks.
roll.png

Amanda

Last edited:
Sounds like an upper respiratory infection. If one is showing signs then all of the others probably have it already. My vet recommended water soluble Tylan. Mix 1/2 teaspoon Tylan with 1/2 gallon water. Make sure this is the only water they have available so they will have to drink it. Mix a new solution every day. Give for 7 days.

Tylan is funny. You have to add the water to the Tylan. I put the measured Tylan in a small jar with a lid then add some of the water from the 1/2 gallon and then shake well and mix with the remaining water. If you add the Tylan to the water you only get yellow floating blobs. Tylan is a little pricey that is why I mix it in 1/2 gallon batches but it will last a long time. It is kind of hard to find but I did get mine at firststatevetsupply.com

Hopefully others will post other medications so you can start something right away. Time is a critical issue. Agway sells it but I don't know if you have that store in your area.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I read some old threads on similar symptoms and ended up getting Sulmet at the feed store today. It sounds like I may have to go back for something different. They had something called VetRX that was for colds. I wonder how that would do. I don't know much about chickens and never would have thought that her crusty, puffy eyes was a sign of an upper respiratory infection or cold.
idunno.gif
I think i will order the Tylan to have on hand for the future. Thanks again for your advice. Since I am so new to this, it is really great to have people with experience who are so willing to share their knowledge.

Amanda;)
thumbsup.gif

You need Tylan and all of the chickens need to be treated. Vet RX is not a medication. Its like Vicks Vapo Rub. Doesn't make you better just maybe feel better.

Back
Top Bottom