Buff Orpington... Yellow Feet?

ClayChicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
East Tennessee
We bought 5 buff orpington pullets from Ideal. They are sweet, healthy, and huge! They are 6 weeks old now.

Well, the other day my youngest son named one, "Bob." Bob is the biggest of the five and as we looked more closely at 'her', we noticed her feet are yellow - not white like the others. We also noticed 'she' appears to be getting wattles.

I think Bob really is a Bob after all and not a Bobbi. But I also wonder if she might not be a BO.

I don't have any photos of Bob yet. Every time I go to the coop, he hops onto my shoulder immediately. The BOs are very friendly!

Buff Orpington and Buff Rocks look alot a like sometimes the only way to tell them apart is the color of the legs feet and under part of the feet...

Buff Orpington - Shanks (legs) and toes pinkish white with bottoms of feet to be pinkish white also..

Buff Rock - Shanks (legs) and toes rich yellow with bottom of feet yellow..

The same with Blue Plymouth Rocks and Blue Orpingtons sometimes its down to leg color to tell them apart..

Blue Orpington - Shanks and toes leaden blue, bottom of feet and toes, pinkish white..

Blue Rock - Shanks and toes are yellow bottom of feet yellow..

Chris

I had a similar situation...more research told me BO's have pink legs and feet andpink beaks. BPR's have yellow legs and feet and yellow beaks. Other than that they pretty much llok the same. Side note...my BPR is way more freindly and handlable than my 3 BO's!!

this is interesting and good info! I have two new chicks and they have some yellowy scales on their legs and I was questioning their true buff orpington breed.... they are pink legs but they have some yellowy scales on them... do you think they could be buff plymouth rock as well? they are SUUUUUUUPER sweet. even sweeter than my sweet BO's!!

Back
Top Bottom