Buff Orpington?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Smartie_Pants, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    A handful of peple on here answered my post a few days ago and thought she might be a BO of hatchery stock, but would that make her look so much different than regular BOs?

Her: [​IMG]

A BO Hen: [​IMG]

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That second BO is somewhat of show quality. Here are some hatchery photos of BO's:

[​IMG]

Hatchery breeder birds are selected for mass egg production. The more productive the breeder...the better. That being said...many hatcheries "attempt" to stick to the Standard of Perfection...but true Show birds are much less productive than hatchery stock. So...the more productive birds are selected for breeders. Hence giving "quality" birds the boot and bring undesired genetics into play in hatchery lines.

3. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Wow, so being hatchery stock really makes that much of a difference? So she is a BO then?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes she is a Buff Orpington and a nice looking one at that!

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    She is really cute!

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Oh yes!

Your bird is beautiful...but go to a show and see what the buff orpingtons are supposed to look like and you'll see a very big difference!

Your bird has the characteristics of the Buff Orp. White legs, buff coloration, eye color, and is single comb.

7. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I would love to go to a show, but most around here are at least a one hour drive one way, and we don't have the money right now to waste that kind of gas. Maybe when, if, the prices ever go down.

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    How old is your buff orpington? My 6 buff orpington hens are hatchery stock. A couple months ago they looked thinner like yours, since they have filled out and become more "round" like the "show quality" hen.

9. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    The person I got her from said she was around 7 months old.

10. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Privett gave me some nice round BO hens, but Belt gave me skinny ones like yours...it's a crap shoot when you order from the hatcheries! I bet she's sweet though, so i wouldn't care [​IMG] mine were all sweeties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by