Buff Orpington?

Smartie_Pants

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Madisonville, KY
A handful of peple on here answered my post a few days ago and thought she might be a BO of hatchery stock, but would that make her look so much different than regular BOs?

Her:
Picture797.jpg

A BO Hen:
BUFFORP.jpg

That second BO is somewhat of show quality. Here are some hatchery photos of BO's:

chickens.jpg

Hatchery breeder birds are selected for mass egg production. The more productive the breeder...the better. That being said...many hatcheries "attempt" to stick to the Standard of Perfection...but true Show birds are much less productive than hatchery stock. So...the more productive birds are selected for breeders. Hence giving "quality" birds the boot and bring undesired genetics into play in hatchery lines.

Oh yes!

Your bird is beautiful...but go to a show and see what the buff orpingtons are supposed to look like and you'll see a very big difference!

Your bird has the characteristics of the Buff Orp. White legs, buff coloration, eye color, and is single comb.

I would love to go to a show, but most around here are at least a one hour drive one way, and we don't have the money right now to waste that kind of gas. Maybe when, if, the prices ever go down.

How old is your buff orpington? My 6 buff orpington hens are hatchery stock. A couple months ago they looked thinner like yours, since they have filled out and become more "round" like the "show quality" hen.

Privett gave me some nice round BO hens, but Belt gave me skinny ones like yours...it's a crap shoot when you order from the hatcheries! I bet she's sweet though, so i wouldn't care
smile.png
mine were all sweeties.

Back
Top Bottom