Buff Orpingtons from Cackle

invalidsession

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
I'm new to this folks so please bear with me. I have tried to read as much as possible on this site in an effort to not come across as a complete idiot but as always there is no substitute for real world experience.
Thus far, with some sound advice from the good people on the "coop design" forum I am rapidly approaching the time to order my birds. My research suggests that Buff Orpingtons are the right choice for us based on their temperament, egg laying and meat quality but should I order pullets to ensure hens (I assume pullets are sexed) or is there another option ? Do you think that a Rooster in the mix is a good thing right now or should I add a Rooster when the hens have matured and breeding becomes an option ?
BTW, I am considering ordering from Cackle as they are the nearest hatchery to us in mid MO. Any experience with them ?
Your opinions would be most welcome.
Thankyou,

Chris.

Hi and welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

I would order pullets to be sure you get as many as you want. If you order straight run..they could be as high as 50/50 pullet/cockerals.
If you can keep a rooster and later want to breed your Orpingtons, then order 1 or 2 with your order. This is easier to keep them all the same age and your flock "closed" until you've had them awhile and can learn about them. If you added a rooster later, you'd have to not only quarantine him for several weeks but you run the risk of him not getting along with the others etc. I believe most keep a roo to every 5 hens, but I keep only 1 roo to 14 hens and they do great. I had 2 at first but the poor girls were naked on their backs from all the amorous attention!
I personally prefer keeping a roo with my hens because they do go out in their run and he protects them, and alerts us to absolutely anything that's not right when they are out. They also seem to do better with him in there though that's personal choice and if ordinances allow where you'll be keeping them and such. You don't need a roo to have eggs though, only if you're going to hatch them.

Good luck and keep us posted when you get your birds.
You can look on here and search for hatchery "reviews" about Cackle too. I've not dealt with them so I can't advise there. I got my Orpingtons from Ideal and got my Marans from a BYC seller on here.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif

Hi, Chris. I raised my roos and hens up together. That way my roos learned to live with each other in the same coop with minimal sparring or fighting. It also usually ensures you always have a breeding roo--even when one is moulting and isn't interested in the hens. Pullets are usually sexed, but a bit more expensive. You may want to order them this way so you can carefully plan your roo to hen ratio.
thumbsup.gif
Kudos for planning so carefully.

Thanks for the tips folks, it appears then, that I should order one Rooster to join my proposed fifteen hens. Would that be a fair ratio do you think ? Or might that create some confusion with the boys head ? I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants right now so please feel free to contribute to my learning curve. I understand that mistakes will be inevitable but i'm striving hard to get a happy little flock from the beginning.
This might not be the right forum but I will try to post some pictures of the coop and run for your consideration and advice.
Forewarned is forearmed.

Chris.

best to get roo's when you get your hens, i like to have one roo for ten hens, that way i can have a closed flock to keep them from getting sick, because if you don"t know the people that good that you get the roo later it could kill all of your flock by making them sick. and that would be bad, just a thought not to make it sound that it would, but i keep my flock closed, when i get new chickens i keep them away for ten week just to be safe. but i mostly bring them up from a hatch. just a thought william

Quote:
We have fifteen Buff Orp hens and one rooster, and haven't had any problems. He'll prob'ly have a couple favorites, but should service the whole flock.

I have some buffs, blues, and a black Orpington that I just love! I am eventually going to convert my flock over to just Orps. and Welsummers, because I LOVE their temperaments!

As far as ordering from Cackle goes, be sure to check closely if they ship to your state or not. Last year I waited on my order of chicks for 2 months BEFORE they told me that they no longer ship to Virginia.
hmm.png
As a matter of fact, I found out they weren't going to ship them to me the week they were supposed to arrive. Waiting lists can be very lengthy in the spring on through the summer and once you are bumped off of a list, that means another wait on a different list. Just be sure they ship to your state. You also need to realize that they are a mom and pop operation and it is VERY difficult to get through to them if needs be. I would personally go with a bigger hatchery like Privett. If I ever order hatchery birds again (which is highly unlikely) I will be going through Privett.
smile.png

Experience has taught me to go ahead and get two roos in case something happens to one of them you have a backup. If something were to happen to your only roo then you would have to try and find a new one to introduce to the the flock. You never know when Mr. Murphy is gonna be around although he spends most of his time around my place.

My 2 cents on the rooster is that when I got my SLW from Cackle they sent me 3 cockerals and 3 pullets. (I ordered 5 strait run w/20 other type chickens.) Out of the three roos one matured so much nicer than the others. I kept him and sold the other 2. I think the male is the most inportant when breeding. Just a thought.

I am replacing my flock with breeder birds now. Maybe you need to start with hatchery birds first to see the value of breeder birds. Get an incubator buy lots of eggs and have some fun. Well good luck with your flock Brad.

Back
Top Bottom