1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

buff orpingtons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gonzo, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    About what age will buff orp's begin to lay?

2. davimi

davimi Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    wandering same thing.....i thought it was 6 months

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  3. musson

musson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    I have 1 that is 22 weeks. She is just about to lay - I imagine in another week or 2. She has just started to "assume the position" when I put my hand over her back.

4. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Ha!!! My sister calls me Gonzo [​IMG] Mention one time that I want to train my chickens to do tricks and you are labled for life. I take it as a complement. I am not quite sure about Buffs. My Red Stars/Gold Stars did not start laying until 20 weeks. But, it was early summer and there was more than 14 hours of light a day.

From what I understand, hens will wait to lay if they come into maturity during Fall/Winter. Something about there needing to be 14 hours of light. I am not sure if this is the case for Buffs.

I thought my hybrids would not start slowing down during the winter, but they have been skipping a few days lately. So your hens might not start until Spring or late Winter. Or at the very least they will me older then 20 weeks.

Maybe, a few of our experts have more info for you.
    DB

5. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Mine have started laying at 23, 26 and 27 weeks. I still have one (28 weeks tomorrow) that's not laying yet.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Laying ability of buff orps tends to vary based on production strain versus better quality bred birds. Production strains can lay in 5-6 months, while others can take much longer. All birds mature at their own rate, so it's tough to put a date on a group of birds.

I find that if my hens come into lay in the fall, they lay their first winter. Orpingtons do tend to be better winter layers unless they have a late fall moult, which shuts down the cycle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by