Buff Orpingtons

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cthrash1, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    the following Buff Orps are a week shy of 4 months old. I know for sure the one next to the wall is a girl, pretty sure the one on the outside is a girl, and the one in the middle may be also as it was slow to develop and it's comb, face, wattles are paler right now than the othe two because of it's slower development. The other two are already turning reddish in the face, etc... So I expect they'll be laying by the end of next month. Just wanted some opinions on the smaller one in the middle.
    [​IMG]

ETA: the one by the wall had the middle longer tail feathers also before the rest of her tail filled in.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Its hard to say with the angle of the pic, perhaps a facial pic would be a little better. There all very similar in size. I went a good 4 months thinking one of my buff orps was a roo, until she popped an egg out [​IMG]

3. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I don't see any saddle feathers on any of them and their shape/color looks girly to me [​IMG]

4. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    From the picture I'd say all pullets. Any roosters of that age should be making some non-feminine noises. [​IMG]

5. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Oh yeah! Didn't think about crowing!!! Duh! Lol they haven't crowed at all they just talk chip chip to each other all the time, and the flock roo doesn't beat them up either. Should have given me a hint there huh, lol!!!

6. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Thanks all... Just needed some confirmation as two or all of them are going to Tennessee next month.

7. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    I have 4 of these,,,1 rooser and 3 hens.The rooster was being a pain,,,but he and I have had 2 battles now.He is settling down.Waiting for eggs now!!! Kevin [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] all 3 look to be hens!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are all girls.

9. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Look like some cute lil girls to me!