Buff Orpingtons

TherryChicken

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
del valle, tx
Ok, so I believe I have all pullets, however I do have 1 that is more fiesty when going to pick it up. 2 of them rather not be picked up, but they let me, the other I have to chase. Would this have anything to do with gender? I've messed with all of them the same way. I could get picks soon, but just thought i'd ask.

Sometimes it can point to the gender of the chicken but you can't tell what gender they are purely by seeing the way they act around you.
Does that answer your question?
frow.gif

Last edited:
I have a range of birds and one thing I have found is that they all have their own likes/dislikes and personality. I personally wouldn't use a dislike of handling as a gender indication :) All the best in sorting it out

I didn't think it would, but had to ask as we can't have roosters where we are, so I'd have to find it a home before it started crowing.. That is if it was a male..

yea I know where you are comming from. I have a suburban style house and when we moved in the neighbour introduced himself be handing me a sack with a rooster in it, really not what we were after but so far none of the other neibours have complained lol. We had to take measures the other day to delay his morning crowing (changed the roost) which helped heaps, but the bottom line is roosters are just not great for inner suburban areas lol.

Try posting a pic of you bird when s/he is ~6-8 weeks old. It seems like lots of the expert chookers on here are pretty good at sexing from around that age if they know the breed and exact age. :)

Good luck and my fingers are crossed for you

yea I know where you are comming from. I have a suburban style house and when we moved in the neighbour introduced himself be handing me a sack with a rooster in it, really not what we were after but so far none of the other neibours have complained lol. We had to take measures the other day to delay his morning crowing (changed the roost) which helped heaps, but the bottom line is roosters are just not great for inner suburban areas lol.

Try posting a pic of you bird when s/he is ~6-8 weeks old. It seems like lots of the expert chookers on here are pretty good at sexing from around that age if they know the breed and exact age. :)

Good luck and my fingers are crossed for you
Thanks, I believe it's a pullet as she looks like she others, she just acts different when it envolves people coming around, but not a whole lot different till you go to pick her up.. She is 2 months old

Ah ok, it's also good to keep in mind that without a rooster one of your girls will take the role of top chook. This can induce rooster like behaviour (flock protection, increased agression). That might be all you are seeing.

Ah ok, it's also good to keep in mind that without a rooster one of your girls will take the role of top chook. This can induce rooster like behaviour (flock protection, increased agression). That might be all you are seeing.
Oh i never thought about that, maybe so

Here are my girls, they're 2 months. Sorry it was dark and bonnie you can see didn't want to work with me, but it's not her.. It's one of the straight beaked girls..
Bonnie
64608_3973317776282_182476804_n.jpg

483454_3973317816283_1216222688_n.jpg

67729_3973317856284_1938209112_n.jpg

Also the picture of bonnie her skin, all of them are really red, is that typical or?

I have heard other chookers say that lots of red in the face and comb at that age can be a sign of the bird being a rooster
duc.gif
but I am terrible at early sexing so I am not sure if her face would be classified as 'really red' or just slightly more coloured, sorry

Back
Top Bottom