Buff Orps as meat birds.

large1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
I have a dozen Buff Orpingtons that i got for meat birds, this is my first go at it and was wondering what is a
n average age for slaughter on the buffs. I know they are not as fast growing as the cornish cross, but that is what was available to me at the time. what can i expect from these birds?

while i don't know the average age for meat, i can say any chicken can be used for meat.

the meat chickens are not bred for egg productivity, but for quick growth.

i bought all straight run chickens this spring, ameraucanas and black australorps, and 4 cochins, and will be eating the roo's (well, maybe not my cochins, unless they're naughty)

I crossed Buffs with Cornish x. I hatched out two roosters that got huge. I was going to cross with my Freedom Ranger hens. They were to big or stupid to do the deed. I dressed them out. They looked like small turkeys.

Buff orps make the sweetest egg layers
sad.png

For the buff orps, I would recommend waiting at least 18 weeks. Depending on the bloodlines, they're not typically one of the fastest maturing DP breeds. They do make good meat though!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I am brand new to chicken farming and ordered 25 (got 26) Buff Orps and there is no way I could butcher them!!! They are the sweetest little girls ever!

They also don't lay well enough to be worth the feed money after two or three years, so you might as well get a nice chicken dinner out of them.
smile.png
I butchered some 5 year old Orpington hens I got free off Craigslist and they were really pretty meaty. I'd wait at least until 5-6 months to butcher if you can, when they've reached full size.

Quote:
I am brand new to chicken farming and ordered 25 (got 26) Buff Orps and there is no way I could butcher them!!! They are the sweetest little girls ever!

They also don't lay well enough to be worth the feed money after two or three years, so you might as well get a nice chicken dinner out of them.
smile.png
I butchered some 5 year old Orpington hens I got free off Craigslist and they were really pretty meaty. I'd wait at least until 5-6 months to butcher if you can, when they've reached full size.

Really? Everyone I have talked to in my area say they are awesome layers. Our friend raises and sells chickens and turkeys and he suggested the Buff Orps and RIR for laying hens and Cornish X for our meat birds. All my research says they are great layers. Hmmmm....maybe I better look some more.

Quote:
smile.png

Really? Everyone I have talked to in my area say they are awesome layers. Our friend raises and sells chickens and turkeys and he suggested the Buff Orps and RIR for laying hens and Cornish X for our meat birds. All my research says they are great layers. Hmmmm....maybe I better look some more.

I think they meant AFTER three years they aren't so good, which is typical of all chickens, productivity starts dropping off at about a year and a half, but if you aren't in for commercial purposes it shouldn't matter that much, instead of getting 5 eggs a week, you may just get three...

Quote:

I think they meant AFTER three years they aren't so good, which is typical of all chickens, productivity starts dropping off at about a year and a half, but if you aren't in for commercial purposes it shouldn't matter that much, instead of getting 5 eggs a week, you may just get three...

Thank you so much!! Being a brand new chickeemama, I have a lot to learn!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom