Buff orps., Bared Rocks, White Rocks, delaware, dark cornish, and RIR

dannyisforreal

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2013
LOST
I want some info or opinions on these breeds of chickens. Is there anyone on here who breeds them for quality. I have all of them, but there all hatchery stock. Anyone got any ideas?
big_smile.png

Thanks, Dan

I want some info or opinions on these breeds of chickens. Is there anyone on here who breeds them for quality. I have all of them, but there all hatchery stock. Anyone got any ideas?
big_smile.png

Thanks, Dan
==
Hi Dan
Nix the White Rocks and the Dark Cornish. Not easy breeds. Buff Orps are tough to breed for correct color.
Barred Rocks you need to start with a vintage top strain and linebreed on it. Do not cross strains to found a flock in this breed. The barring is too easy to mess up if you do that. Delaware, a group of dedicated breeders are working on it. One has recreated it and a group are working on perfecting that recreation. Basically it is the same color as a Light Sussex but it also has the barring gene.
Rhode Island Red. Buy only from a top vintage strain and linebreed on it. Cross strains only with the approval of a top breeder in this breed. Let them select any crosses for you. Safe that way. Best to linebreed on a top vintage strain. There are several out there to choose from. Rich literary history on this breed. Top breeders of RIR on the BYC Heritage Large Fowl Thread Phase II. Vey important to listen to the top breeders in this breed and follow instructions. A great all-round bird.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom