Buff & Red Silkies with BLUE or Lavender feathers??? Ummm Help???

GypsyChic

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
MO
I have a dark red roo I just bought a few weeks ago. Instead of having black feathers like most, this bird has blue tail feathers. I'll get pics tomorrow when rain stops, but in the mean time, does ANYONE know what this is classified as regarding COLOR, or is he just a freak of nature?? Would deeply appreciate anyones answers but if SUZE could chime in, that would be super
tongue.png
Thanks again for any help.

Last edited:
I know that off-colors in red or buff is a fault. I've also read that people will breed blue into their red birds so that the off colors are not so vibrant. So maybe your blue feathers are there on purpose?

Yes, it indicates that the bird carries a copy of blue. Without seeing the bird, I really cannot state an opinion on its variety, but if it is a red columbian (such as an RIR), then it could be called red blue columbian. Realize that while that is a genetic descriptor of a variety, I am pretty sure it is not a recognised variety.

awesome color! Definitely a bird to keep! You could breed it to red hens and get half with red tails and half with black.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Cat and Suze...I will get pics today and post of his bum so you can see what I'm talking about. His color is a nice dark red/chestnut and then the blue in tail, and if I'm not mistaken, I believe he may have some bluish in his topknot/head feathers as well. What would happen if he were bred to blue or red girls?

I dont know anyone who raises reds, pure reds that is. Surely someone will come along who can better direct you.

Suze, I couldnt get any decent pics of the roo (he's a quick lil booger), but I took these of the blue buff (???) hens. Would you mind lending your knowledge and genetic input on these 2 girls? They are buff with blue or lavender heads and bums...is "blue-buff" the proper term? Also, how would I go about breeding them, a blue roo or pure buff roo?? The one hen is shown standing next to a dark blue hen. Hopefully that will give a better idea of the BLUE in both girls

39809_bluebuff4.jpg
39809_bluebuff1.jpg

Last edited:
Is there not ANYONE who can help me with these birds colors, breeding, ect. out there? Surely someone will help me out??? Suze, can you please add some info? I would dearly appreciate it. If I'm to go forward with this program, I NEED HELP from the genetic experts out there. Hope to hear something from someone...please.

Misty

Back
Top Bottom