Buff & Red Silkies with BLUE or Lavender feathers??? Ummm Help???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GypsyChic, Dec 17, 2010.

1. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    I have a dark red roo I just bought a few weeks ago. Instead of having black feathers like most, this bird has blue tail feathers. I'll get pics tomorrow when rain stops, but in the mean time, does ANYONE know what this is classified as regarding COLOR, or is he just a freak of nature?? Would deeply appreciate anyones answers but if SUZE could chime in, that would be super [​IMG] Thanks again for any help.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I know that off-colors in red or buff is a fault. I've also read that people will breed blue into their red birds so that the off colors are not so vibrant. So maybe your blue feathers are there on purpose?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, it indicates that the bird carries a copy of blue. Without seeing the bird, I really cannot state an opinion on its variety, but if it is a red columbian (such as an RIR), then it could be called red blue columbian. Realize that while that is a genetic descriptor of a variety, I am pretty sure it is not a recognised variety.

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    awesome color! Definitely a bird to keep! You could breed it to red hens and get half with red tails and half with black.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  5. GypsyChic

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Quote:Thanks Cat and Suze...I will get pics today and post of his bum so you can see what I'm talking about. His color is a nice dark red/chestnut and then the blue in tail, and if I'm not mistaken, I believe he may have some bluish in his topknot/head feathers as well. What would happen if he were bred to blue or red girls?

6. adkins90

adkins90 Truly Obsessed...

Jan 30, 2007
    Huntington, WV
    I have been looking for Reds and can't find any. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Michelle

7. GypsyChic

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    I dont know anyone who raises reds, pure reds that is. Surely someone will come along who can better direct you.

Suze, I couldnt get any decent pics of the roo (he's a quick lil booger), but I took these of the blue buff (???) hens. Would you mind lending your knowledge and genetic input on these 2 girls? They are buff with blue or lavender heads and bums...is "blue-buff" the proper term? Also, how would I go about breeding them, a blue roo or pure buff roo?? The one hen is shown standing next to a dark blue hen. Hopefully that will give a better idea of the BLUE in both girls

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  8. GypsyChic

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Is there not ANYONE who can help me with these birds colors, breeding, ect. out there? Surely someone will help me out??? Suze, can you please add some info? I would dearly appreciate it. If I'm to go forward with this program, I NEED HELP from the genetic experts out there. Hope to hear something from someone...please.

Misty

9. MeettheFlockers

MeettheFlockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I have a really nice Red program but I won't have any started birds available until Spring. We are still hatching now but it's very slow.

10. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    We are new to Silkie Chickens. Here is our Rooster...we love [​IMG]him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by