Buff silkie hatch **New pics 8/3

Beautiful little babies!
big_smile.png

Thanks! I was wondering if you'd see this.
smile.png

This is the first I've hatched from my blend of roo and hens. I'm guessing the darker chicks are from my black tipped hen. In my head, they will likely be the darker buff color and possibly black tipped when feathered. I don't know if this is true or not. It's just what makes sense in my head. My darkest hen is black tipped and this roo is blue tipped. He's a nice dark color too though. Sigh. I want clear dark buffs!!

One of the buff hens is sitting on 7 more eggs. She is due to hatch early next week. I'm not getting very good fertility out of this lot yet. I need to trim tushies on everyone to see if that helps out. I had a lot of duds and blood rings in this bator hatch and I don't like it. We'll see. This is just round one.
smile.png

Silkie babies are just adorable. They'll fall asleep anywhere, and are so placid. I carried one of mine to my neighbors' to show him off and he was a perfect gentleman, with everyone cooing and petting and admiring. They are worthy of admiration!

If there is anything cuter than a baby Silkie, I want to see it! Lucky for me I'm all out of space or I'd be hatching some of these precious babies myself! Congratulations on a beautiful brood.

They will get more fertile as they get older. Only half of mine are fertil right now but the ones that are a year old are all fertile. Give it some more time and keep hatching.
wee.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, y'all!
smile.png

Silkietime, I was wondering if you would see this too. These babies are so incredibly sweet.
smile.png
The two you sold me are doing great. They are still in that awkward looking silkie phase, but are doing great. I moved that brooder full outside a couple of weeks ago and everyone is doing great. The two splash silkies are clearly in charge of the pen though. It's pretty funny. They are sweeties!
Are you still thinking of getting some lavenders from Bobbi? I'm thinking of putting a few lavenders in with the spare buff roo. I'd love to get some porcelains going too. It's an interesting color. I was thinking of doing an egg order (or chick order) and wondered if you wanted to split shipping or something. Just let me know. Hope all is well in Joelton!

So funny chick story- My nieces were over today and we were doing a craft project at the dining room table right next to the brooder pen. The babies had been happily toddling about and munching lunch. All of a sudden there was that loud distress call of an unhappy baby. One of the poor things had fallen over and couldn't flip back upright. All of the others were gathered about just watching him. The nieces thought it was hysterical to see the fat little butterball with its little feet sticking up in the air. I rescued the poor baby and turned him/her back upright. Thankfully he/she was fairly philosophical about it all.
smile.png

LOL, I don't have a pen for lavender but I would take a white from her any time but not in this heat. When it gets cooler I'm in. I so love the whites. Back when I was learning how to use the incubator I got eggs from Marry in GA and fell in love with a partridge hen so I kept her for broody. I have know where to put her but my white pen. She has 4 babies from her own eggs, there only 3 or 4 weeks old with the very lightest brown color in them I ever saw. I'm going to keep them a little while just to see what they look like. They look very cool to my. You know the mothers love. Funny the two splash are in charge when the mother of those two is so very small. How is that one lonely chick that you hatched? Got that ugly trailer out of here today. Happy happy happy joy joy joy.
Love your buff babies. Looks like Jack is breeding the big fluffy heads with out the vault skull. That is too cool.

Back
Top Bottom