Buff Silkie Thread!

Does any one have any bearded buff Silkies that tend to be on the larger side? I'd love some larger sized bearded buffs! Chicks, hatching eggs, or pullets? I'm very interested in some, so please PM if you have any available, or will have any available later in the season. Thanks!

ca;; me a compleate dingus, but I cannot for the life of my find any chicken anatomy that shows the "Cushion"... and googling it only shows me how to bake it... not what I needed! I was told to look for birds that have a large round cushion... well. what is it?!

Isnt that annoying? LOL
well the cushion is the what I like to think of as the back third of the bird, including the tail. A good cushion is tall and wide. I think on the ASBC site there are lots of conformation pics of good and bad, its great.
Love your profile pic, are you an eventer? My daughter does that, hate watching the xc!
ep.gif

Beautiful birds everyone. I've just finished reading from page one and have enjoyed learning from you guys. I don't have any buffs yet but I know they're in my future , someday
wink.png

Does anyone have any bearded buff chicks for sale? I can pick up in New England, or ship. Please???

Last edited:
This is a great thread. I have a flock of 15 10-week olds bought as chicks from McMurray. 6 are silkies, 3 of those are buff silkies. Yesterday, one of the buff silkies started crowing. I thought "she" might be feeling sick, but after a search on the forums I figured out that the kazoo like sound meant roo! He is very very small, about half the size of my white silkies. He's my only bearded silkie also. I've thought about the pros and cons of having a rooster, and might want one, but only one.

Will his crowing make other roos more likely to start crowing themselves, being around it? Does anyone have experience with this?

Chances are I have more than one roo, and I wasn't expecting the crowing to start this early. This silkie is not one of our favorites, so if we have other roos he wouldn't be a keeper, but is also too small to eat or sell. He did crow constantly, for the 3 hours last night we spent in the run with them... not sure if he's just trying out his pipes or if he's going to remain that heavy of a crower...

This is a great thread. I have a flock of 15 10-week olds bought as chicks from McMurray. 6 are silkies, 3 of those are buff silkies. Yesterday, one of the buff silkies started crowing. I thought "she" might be feeling sick, but after a search on the forums I figured out that the kazoo like sound meant roo! He is very very small, about half the size of my white silkies. He's my only bearded silkie also. I've thought about the pros and cons of having a rooster, and might want one, but only one.

Will his crowing make other roos more likely to start crowing themselves, being around it? Does anyone have experience with this?

Chances are I have more than one roo, and I wasn't expecting the crowing to start this early. This silkie is not one of our favorites, so if we have other roos he wouldn't be a keeper, but is also too small to eat or sell. He did crow constantly, for the 3 hours last night we spent in the run with them... not sure if he's just trying out his pipes or if he's going to remain that heavy of a crower...
Ha ha! I had one start crowing, if you could call it that, at 4 1/2 weeks! They will practice, especially when the hormones start to kick in at around 4 months! The crowing does become a competition with other roos, even the neighbor's roos, so if that bothers you, well, maybe you don't need any roos? Once they gain their confidence and mature a bit more, like 8-9 months, they will slow down a bit. I have 8 roos here right now, 4 of which are Silkies. They start before the break of dawn, or even if I get up and turn a light on in the house at 3am. They will crow for the first few hours of the day, almost non-stop, then taper off as it gets warmer. Come evening, the crowing starts again until bedtime. It doesn't bother me, I rather enjoy it, especially the silly crows of the Silkies. I live in the country, so my neighbors aren't real close, but they can hear my birds. I DARE them to complain to me...I have to listen to their kenneled Coon Hounds ALL DAY LONG!!
gig.gif

Ha ha! I had one start crowing, if you could call it that, at 4 1/2 weeks! They will practice, especially when the hormones start to kick in at around 4 months! The crowing does become a competition with other roos, even the neighbor's roos, so if that bothers you, well, maybe you don't need any roos? Once they gain their confidence and mature a bit more, like 8-9 months, they will slow down a bit. I have 8 roos here right now, 4 of which are Silkies. They start before the break of dawn, or even if I get up and turn a light on in the house at 3am. They will crow for the first few hours of the day, almost non-stop, then taper off as it gets warmer. Come evening, the crowing starts again until bedtime. It doesn't bother me, I rather enjoy it, especially the silly crows of the Silkies. I live in the country, so my neighbors aren't real close, but they can hear my birds. I DARE them to complain to me...I have to listen to their kenneled Coon Hounds ALL DAY LONG!!
gig.gif
Wow that's so early!

So when you say the crowing becomes competition, that means that this might coax the other roos to come out of hiding sooner rather than later? That's what I'm hoping for, as with 15 total I would not keep more than one roo, so want to be a bit choosy about which one I keep. Noise isn't a problem where I live, and at this point the noise is more comical than annoying, it just seems like squawking for hours would wear the little guy out!

Back
Top Bottom