"Buff" Silkies I was shipped.. :( UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I would be OUTRAGED if this happened to me. I would definately send the breeder pics, may make her see things thru your eyes and if the breeder wants to keep a good name for herself/ or his self they should make things right by refunding your money. I am amazed they haven't responded to you yet to me that just makes them look like they purposly sent out DQ birds.

2. Quote:I just sent them pictures. If they dont get back to me I will be so furious. Its like she sent out her DQ birds and cull birds on purpose, when I was paying for show quality chicks. [​IMG]

3. CountryMom

CountryMom Songster

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I would definitely send pics. I think that she should see and if she is a crediable breeder will right the wrong. A breeder with any intergrity will not allow their reputation to be hurt. Or the reputation of their stock.

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Sure, babies sometimes hatch out with smut and when they molt to their adult feathers, the coloring can change. (They can change for the bad, too, though!)

The gray on that ones feet concerns me, though and makes me wonder if she doesn't have a buff partridge in the pen.

Definitely send pics. The crooked face, especially,

5. Quote:Thats what I was thinking. Its like the chicks were mixed with another color. When do they get their adult feathers? Im so mad I cant remember now.

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    My word! You have to be some kind of upset! Is this person actually a well known breeder? Now I'm a bit nervous who it is as I buy from well known ones sometimes. [​IMG] I have a gorgeous buff hen who was hatched from eggs from a well known breeder, She came out looking like a partridge and now looks like a full blown buff, so to answer your question about the buffs and color changing a they grow, I have seen this first hand. Either way though, those combs and crroked beaks are just unnacceptable! That's just absurd!!! Keep us posted on their response.

7. Quote:Its really not worth keeping the off colored chicks either. Reason being is even though they may clear a little with each molt, the genetics for the off color remain. The object is to get the clearest bird possible, feather color and genetics!

8. junebug7334

junebug7334 Songster

Sep 24, 2008
    :/Okay since I am new to this forum......and really learning about my favorite breed just now.....did I miss the name of the breeder? I am not trying to make something worse here, but I would like to know who is good and not so good. Thanks

9. The name of the breeder was withheld in order to give them an opportunity to correct the situation.

10. If the situation doesnt get corrected, am I allowed to list the name of the breeder?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: