Buff will not leave nesting box, afraid something is wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morganharper, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Morganharper

Morganharper In the Brooder

May 18, 2017
    i previously posted about my buff because she was laying what seemed like yolk along with solid, normal shaped and textured eggs. No one really knew what it was but eventually it went away. She was fine for a few weeks and now for probably the past week and a half she will not leave the nesting box. She stays in all day and sleeps in there as well. I took her out to see how she acted and she looks fine and ate but within about 5 minutes went back to the box. I’m worried that she may be suffering or that something is wrong internally due to the yolk thing, even though she has not had this happen again for about a month, if anyone has any idea or can help it is appreciated.

2. nerfworthy

nerfworthy Songster

Mar 29, 2018
    South Western Idaho
    I'm no expert, but sounds to me like she might just be broody. Hens will often stay in their nest boxes 24/7 except to briefly eat or drink etc. when they are broody.

3. starrmar006

starrmar006 Songster

Jan 10, 2017
    Western WA, USA
    Ya, that's what it sounds like that

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds like she has gone broody.

5. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    Does she ruffle up her feathers and kind of growl when you try to lift her? That's a sure sign of a broody hen. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: