Buffs, when will they

Buffrington

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
Hi All

I am new member on this website and seek advice, I have two hens and a rooster and one of my buff hens layed 3 eggs the last 3-4 day's. My question is, when will she go "broody" or start sitting on the eggs?

Thanks in advance

well hens dont really go broody like they lay some eggs then go broody they can go broody if you leave those eggs in there for her to sit on but if you take the eggs she might not go boody

Thank you for the reply, will the eggs still hatch even if she continues to lay eggs for another week or two then only "incubate them"?

Thanks

I have 6 buffs in one coop, I have a fully grown rooster and two hens which are both mounted by the rosster several times a day, seen with my own eyes.

The other three buffs are a bit smaller, around 13-14 weeks old, I cannot see if they are hens or roosters.

In that case, I will just have to sit and wait then, I was/am just worried the hens will lay eggs and they get waisted and no one will "incubate" them, hence my other question, how long can the eggs just lay there and still be good until a hen is willign to start laying on them. Sorry if this sound all fuzzy etc..

Thanks

thats a hard question I have heard though you can stunt the growth then start incubating them also as soon as the hens lays on them they start to incubate so not sure

HI. I am also new to this site. I have been researching your very question because I have the same situation. My girls have just started laying and I am hoping to raise some buffs. From what I understand, not all hens will sit on their eggs. A lot of hens, depending on the breed have had the need to "go broody" bred out of them. The buffs are one of the breeds that does tend to sit. I have a girl right now that has built a nest and so far has laid two eggs in it. I am hoping for a third today. From everything I have read she will finish laying her clutch of eggs before she starts to sit and incubate.

I guess the answer to your question would be that you will have to wait until she finishes laying her clutch of eggs to see if she will sit.
smile.png

Last edited:
Welcome Crazycomb :)

Great info thank you, I have read that a clutch could be a number off eggs, lets say around 13 or so.In that case I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom