bug bites

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dlgd, Jan 16, 2011.

1. dlgd

dlgd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Ok, dumb question...but has ANYONE else have a problem with bug bites after they've handled their chickens and if so>>>WHAT THE HECK DO YOU DO ABOUT IT! I am SO miserable and I've tried everything including prescription cream. If any one has an idea that worked, HELP!:O

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    are you sure its bug bites and not an allergic reaction to the chicken dander?

if your chickens are bug free then its not bug bites

what do these bites look like?..

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do you feel yourself being bitten? Have you inspected your chickens? Look around their vents and under their wings, especially. Look right down to the skin. You should see the bugs, if they have them.

If you aren't feeling the bites, you could have developed an allergy to either the chickens or something they come in contact with, like their litter. I also get chigger bites at certain times of the year. I don't usually feel the bites, but I do feel it later, when I get the big itchy welt.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Bet you have chicken mites...

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mites/lice don't usually bite people, but I believe they can. Perhaps you have redbugs in your coop; have you put spanish moss in there lately? It is often full of redbugs (chiggers.) I agree, though, treat for lice/mites. Chickens will get lice/mites from wild birds sooner or later.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425486

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by