Bug zapper for supplemental snacks...

MTR

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
So we have a bug problem. We live in the woods and have tons of them. I remember as a kid we had an old school bug zapper and I got to thinking. Is this a genius two for one. I have a covered run so I hung the zapper from the roof so the bugs will fall to the chickens. Seems like a great idea - what are your thoughts?

If the chickens jump they won’t be able to accidentally touch the zapper? It has to be a really high roof for you to be able to guarantee they won’t. We have a bantam chicken who was able to jump all the way up to the ceiling on our run. The run roof is at least 190cm’s tall. Maybe if you attach it outside of the coop, but that would have a risk of hitting the birds. It most likely wouldn’t kill the chicken, but it does have a risk of severally injuring the chicken. Also if a chicken does manage to hit it and also manages to knock it down how do you stop it from hurting the other chickens as they (being chickens) come and start pecking at it. I know some zappers these days have like a extra layer of none electric wire surrounding the actual electric wire. I personally think it’s not the best idea to put an object that can kill something around your chickens.

If the chickens jump they won’t be able to accidentally touch the zapper? It has to be a really high roof for you to be able to guarantee they won’t. We have a bantam chicken who was able to jump all the way up to the ceiling on our run. The run roof is at least 190cm’s tall. Maybe if you attach it outside of the coop, but that would have a risk of hitting the birds. It most likely wouldn’t kill the chicken, but it does have a risk of severally injuring the chicken. Also if a chicken does manage to hit it and also manages to knock it down how do you stop it from hurting the other chickens as they (being chickens) come and start pecking at it. I know some zappers these days have like a extra layer of none electric wire surrounding the actual electric wire. I personally think it’s not the best idea to put an object that can kill something around your chickens.
My zapper is covered in plastic mesh and they don’t jump. I have larger heritage breeds

My zapper is covered in plastic mesh and they don’t jump. I have larger heritage breeds
Your roof is really high? Often chickens don’t jump until they get REALLY spooked, or are trying to escape from another chicken. Even though it may not be normal for them to, you still need to be sure that in the rare case they do there is no chance of them hitting the zapper.

Your roof is really high? Often chickens don’t jump until they get REALLY spooked, or are trying to escape from another chicken. Even though it may not be normal for them to, you still need to be sure that in the rare case they do there is no chance of them hitting the zapper.
Even if they did they can’t get to the zapper because it has a plastic cover

Back
Top Bottom