Bug zapper = tasty chicken treats?

Uh, It's the male mosquitoes who is responsible for more breeding..
wink.png

Quote:
but if they bred and kept to themselves and DID NOT bite, I wouldn't care if mosquitoes invaded my back yard.
It's only the biting that I care about, and it's mostly females that bite.
tongue.png

Male mosquitos are smaller than the females.

You're not talking about crane flies, are you? They're a pest here in WA state.
cranefly-hand.jpg

Back on topic:
Chickens love bug jerky. Zappers will be an extra source of food for the chooks, so why not?

Chickens also love pickled bugs. Last summer I made some homemade bug traps from vinegar (for the smell), water (for volume), and sugar (to attract the flies). I had a healthy catch going in the resevoir, and forgot about it. About a month later, I accidentally spilled it. The chickens went crazy munching on the pickled flies.
Them:
ya.gif

Me:
sickbyc.gif

Mine will eat any bug they find...but they will not touch japanese beetles. Even if I toss them to them, they will gobble up the grubs, and follow me around when I'm weeding or working in the garden just for the grubs and worms...really wish they would eat the beetles...

We have two chickens that roam the yard totally free range and their favorite place in the summer is under the bug zapper!

I'll have mine toasted please...
tongue.png

Years ago someone gave me a book "Build It Better Yourself" There are plans in it for nearly anything you would want to build. In it there is a plan for "Dick's bug machine" for catching bugs to supplement your chickens diet. This uses a light bulb, a box, electric fan, nylon stocking, etc. I could post a diagram for this but would that violate any copyright laws?

Since I am NOT an attorney and have NO expertise on the subject of copyright law, ..................I think it would be fine to post the plans.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom