Bugs in chick food- Help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mama Bee, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Mama Bee

Mama Bee New Egg

Sep 18, 2011
    I just opened a new bag of medicated chick crumbles and it is got lots of bugs in it. They look like what hatches into moths. My chicks are only 3 weeks old. I wasn't going to feed it to them, but then I started thinking once they are out on the range they will be eating bugs. I'm going to take it back tomorrow, but what is your opinion on giving them some tonight. I'm just afraid the bugs will infest the brooder. What do you think?

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Those are clothes moths since they are very tiny bugs.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There can be weevils in feed. What you need to look out for is mold which may be there with the bugs--it can kill a chicken. I had a bag of scratch too long this summer since I only give it in small amounts for a treat. It started to feel warm in the can and in 2-3 days it was moldy and had bugs. Throw it out if you have any doubts.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Welcome to the site it is a great place... [​IMG]
    Yes they are and you are entitled to take it back for a fresh bag more than likely.

By EHOW!

Look at the color of the wings. If they are two toned, pale tan closer to the head with darker brown stripes on the butt end, you are most likely dealing with Indian Meal Moths (Plodia interpunctella). Indian Meal Moths are 3/8 of an inch long, with prominent antennae. They have a weak, erratic flight, yet can be surprisingly hard to catch.

You can also identify Indian Meal Moths by their eggs and larvae. Indian Meal Moth eggs are white and very small, and the larvae are white with a brown head. The larvae produce sticky silk nests to protect themselves while feeding, and you may find these nests, which resemble a dense cobweb, in your rice, grains, flours or dry pasta.

Another possibility is Mediterranean Flour Moths (Ephestia kuehniella or Anagasta kuehniella), which are very closely related to Indian Meal Moths and eat many of the same foods. Mediterranean Flour Moths also have two-toned wings and their larvae produces silk webbing, although the Mediterranean Flour Moth's nest is more tunnel-like. Mediterranean Flour Moths are slightly larger than Indian Meal Moths, 1/2 inch long or longer.

If the wings are uniformly brown, you are probably dealing with the Angoumois Grain Moth (Sitotroga cerealell), which are approximately one third of an inch long. Angoumois Grain Moth larvae also have a different development process. Females lay their eggs on grain kernels, and when the eggs hatch, the larvae burrow into the grain kernel and feed on the inside of it. The larvae pupate inside the grain kernel, and then emerge as adults. If you find kernels of grain with small but obvious holes, you may have a Angoumois Grain Moth infestation. Angoumois Grain Moth feed on of many grains, but are most often found in corn, including popcorn.

Read more: How to Identify Grain Moths | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4449816_identify-grain-moths.html#ixzz1acm2otg8

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. justafeedboy

justafeedboy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    in my own little world
    They are grain moths larvae.

6. Mama Bee

Mama Bee New Egg

Sep 18, 2011
    So is it ok to feed them this food until I can get a fresh supply tomorrow?
    Thanks for all the answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by