Bugs in feed- ok to use??

leighks

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Western New York
My Coop
My Coop
I just opened a bag of Dumor organic layer feed and found some web/ cocoon material along the top of the bag and a few dead bugs in it. The feed smells fine. I think it’s gross but chickens eat bugs so I doubt they would care. Does anyone know if this would impact the quality of the feed? Should I return it or just use it?
4B18EA92-B982-498E-8797-98AAD3800581.jpeg
8090D83F-F786-421A-98C6-4D8F538192D5.jpeg
3F8ABF4D-6D40-4D90-881E-48A8B8D53D34.jpeg

That's a sign the feed is old or was improperly stored.
I would return and purchase Nature's Best feed, also available at TSC for a few dollars more.
It's their best selling organic feed and more likely to be fresh.
I don't know how either brand is dated for mill dates, but I would learn if you want to purchase regularly.

Caution about bug infested feed on Nutrina and Purina feed tags.
20201018_154845_resized.jpg

GC

That's a sign the feed is old or was improperly stored.
I would return and purchase Nature's Best feed, also available at TSC for a few dollars more.
It's their best selling organic feed and more likely to be fresh.
I don't know how either brand is dated for mill dates, but I would learn if you want to purchase regularly.

Caution about bug infested feed on Nutrina and Purina feed tags.View attachment 2377954
GC
I like Nature’s best and I used to use it, but my TSC only has 40 lb bags of layer feed and I only have 5 chickens, it took them a long time to make it through a bag and I figured it would get stale. I do store it in a garbage can to keep critters out, but don’t know if it could keep a bag that’s open for months from getting stale.
Thanks all, I will return the bag.

I like Nature’s best and I used to use it, but my TSC only has 40 lb bags of layer feed and I only have 5 chickens, it took them a long time to make it through a bag and I figured it would get stale. I do store it in a garbage can to keep critters out, but don’t know if it could keep a bag that’s open for months from getting stale.
Thanks all, I will return the bag.
Yes, I understand. I had feed go bad at 5 months past mill date.

I have read people that have a small flock store feed in large freezer bags in the freezer and take out a bag as needed.
I have never done it myself. GC

Always check the mill dat on each bag of feed before you buy it!
I'd also return that bag of infested feed, get a refund, and check those mill dates carefully. Is there another feed store somewhere close? Check it out, if yes.
There's more than one choice of feed that's going to be 'best' for your flock, and it will depend on what's available fresh where you shop. Maybe an all flock or chick feed will work better for you, with separate oyster shell for the laying hens to eat as needed.
Here we buy feed within one month of it's mill date, and plan to feed it within another month. Try to get close to that time line if possible, and check stores, and brands, to find something that's going to work for your flock.
Mary

I would be hesitate to use it. For a bug to get in, there had to be an opening.
I bought a 40lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds with the same stuff in the bag. I leave it in my garage but I believe the reason for the cocoon and web stuff is from moths. I’ve been killing dozens of them from the bag. Finally had to throw it out and I’m still killing moths every day.

Back
Top Bottom