Bugs in new bag of crumble

CoffeeHen

Chirping
Jul 12, 2020
Just opened a new bag of Organic crumble bought the day before yesterday. Top looks like it has crumble dust, lots of small dead black bugs and I saw two live ones crawling around ( eating I’m sure). Is it safe for my 3 month old hens? Do I need to return this bag? They eat bugs anyway in the run, but those are alive/ fresh (not decaying). Will dead bugs start the growth of some harmful bacteria? Should I return it?

I would return it but if you are completely out, feeding a day or two's worth likely won't hurt.

The bugs may not be a problem but it brings up the question of mold etc... too. Oh and keep it FAR AWAY from any other foods you may be storing.

Exactly. Since it is "organic" it likely costs plenty and it is a bag full of buggy crap?

Plus the store needs to know asap so they can pull the other bags as that is really bad for business.

I would return it and also call the manufacturer. I once had a bag of pure dust from Purina, they explained it was the end of a "mill batch". They sent a coupon for a new bag and I just threw the bag away - I still had ~a week's worth left. It had nothing to do with the feed store & didn't want them to take the loss.

Similar happened to me, so much dust at the top and I did notify the feed store. Told it's possible the "mill batch", it didn't matter much to me since I ferment. I did get a call from the Distributor Rep, he told me the same thing and thanked me for purchasing their product. Sent me several feed coupons :love that was awfully nice.

Few times the feed "developed" feed mites, or open a bag to see crawly things ... It goes in a plastic bag and back to the feed store. Living in Hawaii, lucky if we can get "fresh" feed, it's usually at least a month plus pass mill date (shipping). Now my feed is kept in the freezer ;)

Similar happened to me, so much dust at the top and I did notify the feed store. Told it's possible the "mill batch", it didn't matter much to me since I ferment. I did get a call from the Distributor Rep, he told me the same thing and thanked me for purchasing their product. Sent me several feed coupons :love that was awfully nice.

Few times the feed "developed" feed mites, or open a bag to see crawly things ... It goes in a plastic bag and back to the feed store. Living in Hawaii, lucky if we can get "fresh" feed, it's usually at least a month plus pass mill date (shipping). Now my feed is kept in the freezer ;)
Wow lucky you to get several coupons! The freezer is the best place to store feed if you have room. I ferment, but this Summer I had to stop because it drew flies like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom