Bugs mosquitoes, and biting gnats!

Jsmith75

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
Central Illinois
this being our first foray into chickens I am freaking out now that the weather is hot and we are free ranging our birds. Typically by this point in the months I've sprayed my yard for bugs this is driving me crazy, the šŸ¦Ÿ are intense I'm covered in bites, the gnats are out of control! I can't enjoy the yard, my gsrden or my birds! I've made sure the coop stays clean used diatomaceous earth with a diluted tea tree and peppermint spray. I can't take it. I itch everywhere from bites! Is is safe to spray bug killer if I can move the flock temporarily? And how long would I have to keep them away. We have a great area of raspberries and in there seems to be where they hide and my girls love the shade under there. But we have to do something or be kept out of our yard! plus I worry my birds will be more miserable because of them (I have one at least who does not get the concept of dust bath and I actually have to bathe her every week)

You could try some permethrin maybe?
gordons_6.png
gordons_7.png
gordons_2.PNG

Go to Amazon and type in the search ā€œcarbon dioxide mosquito trapā€ (or killer). I hear they work quite well, and no poison to harm the birds. I may be in the market for one myself soon, now living in the humid Midwest.

this being our first foray into chickens I am freaking out now that the weather is hot and we are free ranging our birds. Typically by this point in the months I've sprayed my yard for bugs this is driving me crazy, the šŸ¦Ÿ are intense I'm covered in bites, the gnats are out of control! I can't enjoy the yard, my gsrden or my birds! I've made sure the coop stays clean used diatomaceous earth with a diluted tea tree and peppermint spray. I can't take it. I itch everywhere from bites! Is is safe to spray bug killer if I can move the flock temporarily? And how long would I have to keep them away. We have a great area of raspberries and in there seems to be where they hide and my girls love the shade under there. But we have to do something or be kept out of our yard! plus I worry my birds will be more miserable because of them (I have one at least who does not get the concept of dust bath and I actually have to bathe her every week)
Hello! I'm in Alaska and wow the mosquitoes bad this year! I mix up a batch of witch hazel, vanilla extract, and almond oil and put it in a spray bottle. I spray their feet and underside, and then put some on my fingers and rub it all around their face and neck. That's where mine trend to get harrased the most. You don't even have to use a lot to help them get relief. I do this twice a day...before I let them out for the day and in the early evening. I also spray all of their perching sticks and the walls of the coop. About a cup of witch hazel, 2 tbsp off vanilla, and maybe a tbsp of the almond oil. I was surprised at how well it works! Not as well as deet, but it definitely helps them as well as my dog! I researched quite a bit and no harmful side effects, been doing it about 2 weeks and the chickens are almost lining up for it now, lol

Back
Top Bottom