Bugs on hen...not usual type

WilliamC

Songster
6 Years
Sep 5, 2017
I have an 8 year old Buff Orpington. Overall good health for her age, some doughy crop issues at times, bad hip. Finishing up her molt, new feathers about 90% filled in. Her skin is pink, clean and her vent and oil glands clean. No signs on her anywhere of any scabs, lice or mites. Except her legs which I think she has scaly mites and I will be starting treatment for that this week.

When I hold her she snuggles in and I scratch her thighs and her "belly". When I lift her off I see these tiny winged bugs. Maybe 4 or 5 at the most. But each day when I have her out holding her
I THINK it might be from the Coastal Bermuda hay I have in her nesting box and they are crawling on her underside to stay warm. I do clean it daily and change it weekly.
I would like to make sure they are nothing harmful so I am posting pictures of the critters.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231218_154430[1].jpg
    20231218_154430[1].jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231218_154440[1].jpg
    20231218_154440[1].jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231218_154446[1].jpg
    20231218_154446[1].jpg
    839 KB · Views: 14
I have an 8 year old Buff Orpington. Overall good health for her age, some doughy crop issues at times, bad hip. Finishing up her molt, new feathers about 90% filled in. Her skin is pink, clean and her vent and oil glands clean. No signs on her anywhere of any scabs, lice or mites. Except her legs which I think she has scaly mites and I will be starting treatment for that this week.

When I hold her she snuggles in and I scratch her thighs and her "belly". When I lift her off I see these tiny winged bugs. Maybe 4 or 5 at the most. But each day when I have her out holding her
I THINK it might be from the Coastal Bermuda hay I have in her nesting box and they are crawling on her underside to stay warm. I do clean it daily and change it weekly.
I would like to make sure they are nothing harmful so I am posting pictures of the critters.

Thanks!
that is very odd, never seen them before. Are any other birds seeming to have them?

Back
Top Bottom