Bugs?

zumzumfoxy

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Hey all!

I've got a question. This is the second time I've discovered tiny (pinhead-sized) little tan/beige bugs on me. Only one the first time and only one a second time but heavy enough that I could feel it crawling on me and sure enough, there was one. Both times were immediately after I played with the chickens (and they're indoor girls).

The bugs look like little ovals with heads and almost see-through. Can anyone tell me what they are and how to get rid of them if they're growing on the girls? I keep the coop very clean (ie: clean it daily) and there shouldn't be any bugs on 'em...

thank you!
smile.png

Quote:
I think that is a picture of two chicken lice. I agree though, the OP's description sounds like mites and should be treated immediately. Dusting the birds and the coop with Poultry dust or Sevin should take care of them. Good luck.

UGH. Yep! That's those things. They give me the creepers every time. How do the chickens -get- those sonsof___ anyway?

Thanks, I'll order some dust ASAP. Are they harmful to people?

I appreciate it!!!

They can leave a nice rash if you are allergic, but mainly they just bite you, go, "Ew, this isn't a bird!" and go on about their business. It hurts and itches when they bite you though. Get those chickens treated!

Definitely going to ASAP!

Would food grade DE be better than a spray or dusting powder?? I'm doing some research now but I'm not sure what would be best. It looks from the descriptors like lice (mites are supposedly red/black).

Quote:
I think that is a picture of two chicken lice. I agree though, the OP's description sounds like mites and should be treated immediately. Dusting the birds and the coop with Poultry dust or Sevin should take care of them. Good luck.

Indeed you are correct and it was late
tongue.png

Here is a mite

240px-Dermanyssus_gallinae_mite.jpg

Hello!

I also asked a chicken vet and they said try Permethrine 10%... would this be better or worse than using DE? Thank you!

Help!!! I just found TINY black bugs in my chicken house. If one gets on me, it bites!!! It is not like the pictures...it isTINY...like a small pin(the sharp end). I clean my chicken house with bleach and water about 4 times a year. What is this and what do I do to get rid of them? I live way out in the country and will have to make a trip in to town(a two hour round trip) so I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Back
Top Bottom