Build a 3'x3' Chicken Coop for $50

If you offered this as a kit with hardware cloth instead of chicken wire and plywood instead of OSB, as well as some of the suggestions offered, I'd think about ordering one if shipping was reasonable. It looks like a coop ideal for bantams or just a couple larger birds.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I go overboard on my other coops, but I missed quite a few things because I was trying to make it as simple and as affordable as possible. I was planning on selling it for $100. I can change out the wire and I already have a door for the run in the back. I know OSB will bubble up if water gets to it, unless I have plywood on the bottom and use the rest of the walls as OSB. There was also no door for the ramp.
I thought someone on this website said 2 square feet per chicken so I stuck to that idea, but what is the actual square footage required?
My Goal was to make this affordable for anyone because i get so many calls and only about 1 out of 10 people can afford a coop and I already have prices at rock bottom.
I will modify it and let you know how it goes. But My Goal will to try and keep it around $50

Thanks a ton all.

the suggested space in the coop is 4 square ft per chicken ( 2 for bantams) and i believe 10 to 12 square ft per chicken in the run...anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong :). Otherwise I really like your coop its cute an pratical :)

the suggested space in the coop is 4 square ft per chicken ( 2 for bantams) and i believe 10 to 12 square ft per chicken in the run...anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong :). Otherwise I really like your coop its cute an pratical :)

Yep. Those are the 'magic' numbers. But after living with chickens now for a good long while, I can tell you that the bigger the space, the happier the hens (i.e. better eggs!). I just expanded our run from about 16sq' per bird to well over 40sq' per bird....and they're loving it!

Yea I originally build sheds because I knew there was a market to make them way more affordable, but then I found that there are companies that charge 3 times as much compared to the quality coops I build and it is really fun making them more affordable.
Thanks for the complement

Ok I think the next coop I should build should be a 5x5 coop that will hold up to 6 chickens because realizing the size of my original coops, they would only hold about 3 chickens.

Thanks guys

I can't wait to see the 5 X 5!!  I have some bantams that I would love to separate out!!

Me too! If everything goes well, we will have some pet Silkies for my kids soon, and a smallish coop would be ideal for them, especially if I can use it tractor style.

There is some great information in this thread - thank you all for sharing.

I am in the process of planning a coop expansion as I have another 4 hens in the brooder.

-Okt

Back
Top Bottom