1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

building a bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by abhaya, Nov 29, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I have looked at lots of posts and it seems really complicated to build a bator. I am on a fixed income so buying a bator is kind of pricey. I do not have lots of power tools so cutting a plasic cooler really doesnt seem like an option. I have found a couple used bators for like $20 - $30 they seem to be still air LGs I really dont know what to do [​IMG]
    Does anyone have of know where to get a simple plan to built an incubator?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
  3. OkieChickenDad

OkieChickenDad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Dont knock the still air...my daughter has had many 100% hatches and has an average for the summer in the 90's using a still air GQF from the 1980's mounted on a 2x4 to facilitate turning...I know, I know you are asking "OkieChickenDad, what about the water channels?" Well, we use a sponge set during incubation and the channels during lockdown.

4. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    i cobbled my bator together for 9bucks and it took me about an hour to make it

you dont need a bunch of power tools though a drill sure is handy then plastic coolers are easy to cut with a hot knife >:3
    or you coulg get a Styrofoam cooler there WAYYYYYYY easy to cut

but if you dont have the stuff like the thermomiter w/ humidity hardware cloth cooler water temp switch ... buying all that would cost over 20-30 bucks

and if you can find a still air for 20-30 bucks get it.... put a old pc fan in it and whala

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by