Building a breeding coop, Need ideas!

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
5 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Hello all~
So lately i've been looking into breeding my own chickens and selling some hatching eggs... But i have no idea on what to make! i've seen some ideas but i'm not into the hole 'crapped in a coop' thing So are there any ideas on a coop or coops i could make with runs? Oh forgot to mentions that i will be breeding bantams only so they shouldn't need too much space for the coop/run..
Anything will be greatly appreciated! If you have any questions about something ask away!

The wire would have to be small enough that the young chicks can't escape (such as rabbit wire), and it depends on how many you want to have in the coop and run at one time. The coop should be large enough to prevent eggs breaking in the nest boxes, while the run can provide optimal space to run and stay healthy to keep egg production up. I would recommend that the coop be 4ft long 3ft wide, and 3ft tall, whereas the run should be 6ft long, 6ft wide, and 5ft tall, I hope this helps! I breed bantams myself

Yes, i was shopping earlier and picked up some mesh wire. Its nice to have someone who already knows what they're doing help! i was looking at some plans and found this.. Of course i'd start out smaller with just a couple of breeds but i was think i would have maybe six hens for each rooster.. Or is that not enough? anyways.. heres a pic of a little set up i found

2x5pens.jpg

That looks pretty good, and 6 hens to 1 roo in the bantam world is fine, since they are smaller they don't need the same 10 to 1 ratio as standard size chickens.

The wire would have to be small enough that the young chicks can't escape (such as rabbit wire), and it depends on how many you want to have in the coop and run at one time. The coop should be large enough to prevent eggs breaking in the nest boxes, while the run can provide optimal space to run and stay healthy to keep egg production up. I would recommend that the coop be 4ft long 3ft wide, and 3ft tall, whereas the run should be 6ft long, 6ft wide, and 5ft tall, I hope this helps! I breed bantams myself
A lil' late to ask but do you mind if you could share some photos of your coop that you keep your breeding stock in?

Back
Top Bottom