1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Building a Brooder with wood. Picture advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wbruder17, Nov 10, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I am about to build a brooder/hutch tyype structure for my broody hens and then to raise the chicks for a few weeks. Up til now I've been using tupperware biins, dog crates, and I purchased a hutch that didn't workk out right so ii sold it.

I have been perusing the internet and Craigslist, but would love some ideas/ photos from you all to help me design it. I wantt a box-type section that can be completely closed, but open into a run, all enclosed like a bunny huutch but with some special requirements.

Here is what it needs to have:
    1: A wire top of way to safely attach aa heat lamp and then adjust its height. I'm thinking a wire top.
    2: a door that opens from the box for easy cleaning.
    3. A door that opens so I can reach all parts of the run easily.
    4. I don't want anything huge, it will be kept under our carport.
    5. Will not need any egg boxes, but removable roost bars for the chicks to roost when they get older.

I think that is all I can think of for now. Will add and respond when needed. Thanks so much in advance. I know you guys are going to come up with some cool pics to go from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by