Building a chicken house. Need advice

Heat kills a lot more chickens than cold, even a lot further north than Texas. Heat is your enemy, not cold. You can keep chickens inside but you need to provide shade and good ventilation. If you are building from scratch having one wall nothing but wire would work where you are.

From your other thread those chickens are broilers or the parents or grandparents of the broilers. They should not roost as I tried to explain in your other post. I just posted there so you probably have not seen it yet.

You can use that building. It should make a very nice coop. The thing is that you need to cut some more holes in it to help ventilation. That power vent will help a lot and may be enough especially if you cut a hole down lower to draw air in, but I like extra passive ventilation too in case of a power failure.

I don’t know what that building looks like but it probably doesn’t have any overhang. One way to get a lot of ventilation without letting a lot of rainwater blow in is to open it up under overhang. Gable vents with rain protection are also a great way to do it. Adding a cupola up top can help a lot too but that may be a bit of a challenge with that metal building. I would not expect the roof to be real strong.

Your windows can really help but something else that can help is to have an opening down even lower. Hot air rises. Having an opening down low to let cooler air in, especially from the shaded side, can really help move a lot of air even with your power vent turned off.

I’d suggest a smaller door to the run. We call those pop doors. Mine is 12” x 12” and I had a midget white tom turkey use it so it will work even with your broiler hens. The advantage of a smaller door is that it lets in less rain when it is opened.

I’d also build the run high enough so you can walk in there without bumping your head. The chickens don’t need it that high but you do.

Good luck with it.

Are you saying not to keep these chickens inside in Texas? I just spend 2,000 on a new shed and run. That would stink if I couldn't use it....I thought the chicks would have a better life if they had s nice cozy place to sleep at night.
I think what aart is trying to say is that you probably need to worry more about your birds being too hot(ventilation helps both hot and cold but is a MUST for the heat). You probably have very hot summers if you are in Texas. I'm in NE Florida and it gets hot in the coops without ventilation (shade helps too)

Edited to add: Depending on what material the shed is, you could cut another window for more ventilation) I have read you should have a min of 1sq ft ventilation for every 10sq ft of coop. (if I remember correctly...someone please correct me if I'm off the numbers)

Last edited:
Are you saying not to keep these chickens inside in Texas? I just spend 2,000 on a new shed and run. That would stink if I couldn't use it....I thought the chicks would have a better life if they had s nice cozy place to sleep at night.
I'm not saying that you can't keep them inside, just that ventilation is crucial and you probably live in a very hot climate.
Chickens are more susceptible health-wise to over heating than they are to freezing temps.
Many folks in hot climate use open air coops.

I also know that Texas is a big state and has varied climates...so not sure what would work best in your area.
Might want to check in with your state thread and find out how they handle the chickens in the heat.
Looks like there's a couple of them:

advanced search>titles only>Texas

Hello Everyone.

I'm 12 years old and I want to build a strong chicken cage. I am just wondering if a aluminium frame would be better than a timber frame. I have heard that timber breeds lice.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Hello Everyone.

I'm 12 years old and I want to build a strong chicken cage. I am just wondering if a aluminum frame would be better than a timber frame. I have heard that timber breeds lice.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks
Galvanize steel is cheaper and stronger than aluminum, lighter than wood. My 16 and 18 year old kids cut and welded the 3/4" conduits from Home Depot to make our run. It needs some welding skills, and couple coats of paint to keep the frame from rusting. My kids have been building robots for years so that wasn't hard for them. Aluminum is harder to weld, or you will need to drill and bolt them together.

Alternately, you can use 1" or 1-1/4" PVC pipes, it is easier to work with, but you would have to be very careful with gluing the connectors. One wrong angle, the frame will be crooked. Wood is the easiest material to work with. If you prime and paint the wood properly, it should not breed lice or mites.

Back
Top Bottom