Building a Chicken Tractor.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Bff, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    I was thinking of building a chicken tractor and had a question. Should i put wire on the bottom to prevent predators from getting in or what else should I do. Any responce is appreiciated.

2. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    If it helps i have stray dogs and cats, ratcoons, opossoms, hawks, and owls.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What are you planning to use the tractor for -- will it be their 24/7 domicile or are you using it as some do for daytime "grazing" but securing the birds in a secondary coop when not in the tractor? If the tractor will be their home 24/7 are you planning to allow free access to the "run" portion of the tractor or will you secure the birds into the coop portion of the tractor during roosting hours? If you have a particular design in mind you could share that here so that we can better visualize what you are going to be building and whether a wire bottom would be wise

4. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    It would be for daytime grazing and then I would put them in their coop at night.

5. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    this would be what we would base it on

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    For daytime grazing, *I* wouldn't worry about a wire bottom. Aerial predators are not a concern for the bottom, raccoons/opossums are *mostly* a concern during roosting hours, cats aren't likely to dig in -- so really the only major worry on that list during daytime tractor use would be dogs. That being said, it really comes down to how much risk you are comfortable assuming - if you are a "Ft.Knox" sort that find the idea of even one lost bird to be too much it may be worth it to you to do the base. One concern with wire bottoms is that chickens are scratchers - a wire bottom may protect them from the potential of a dog digging in, but it also raises the potential of damage to their feet as they try to scratch around in the areas you put them to graze. How often do you plan to move the tractor?

7. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    probobly every day or so depending on how much grass is left

8. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    1/2 hardware cloth or 2x4 wire apron connected loosely to the outside bottom so it can be raised when you move it.

eta: apron on the outside to prevent diggers

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  9. Chicken Bff

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    also does any one have pros and cons of of both the apron and the wire bottom?

10. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    apron
    cons
    is a something else to remember to lift and attached to sides before you move
    chickens can tear up a lawn scratching
    pro
    easier to remove to replace if gets damage or you don't want
    chickens can scratch for bugs

wire:
    cons
    the poo sticks to it and a pain to get off [​IMG]
    is hard on their feet
    chickens can't scratch
    pro
    can move with chickens in it and they don't escape
    chickens don't tear up the lawn because they can't get to it