Building a coop from a large old run-in..help! Update 5/1

featherz

Veggie Chick
13 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Saratoga County, NY
I mentioned this in another thread during the winter, and all agreed we could make a huge coop out of it (and should have!). It seems to be perfect, lots of ventilation at the top which I can cover with hardware cloth and a good roof. The bottom needs shoring up and it might be drafty so we'd have to fill in a few cracks. The wood seems sound except for the gaps.

However, how would *you* turn this into a coop (assuming you would)? Keep in mind you are talking to a nurse and a computer programmer.
smile.png
Obviously we'd have to add a front to it with a door. The size is approximately 14 feet wide by 8 feet tall (not including roof) and 12 feet deep. There's already a fence on one side and there's lots of room for a run.. LOTS of room.

P1010685.jpg

P1010686.jpg

P1010687.jpg

Last edited:
Man I wish I had that in my yard...

How many chickens do you have?

I would make part of it a storage area for the feed and stuff and the other part the coop area. Maybe have a little emergency room for hens that need a little space or their very own area to be broody. Ohh the possibilities....

Quote:
Well, I have two other coops, so those don't count. By my calculations, this would hold 40ish chickens if all of it were used for chickens, but I realllly don't need that many chickens!! I have 40 in a brooder, assume half boys so I have 20ish chickens I'd need to house (give or take).
smile.png

We were thinking we'd have a front (anyone want to help sketch up how to put a front on that using standard lumber? - we are idiots here lol) + a people door and a pop door.. Then just leave the top part open? or? ... I was going to cover the top 'vents' with hardware cloth but the rest I wasn't sure about..

Last edited:
I would put the front wall right where the roof angles back down, add windows a door etc....

And make the front like a shady porch that you can use to keep out of the weather while caring for the chickens. I would probably put the run on one of the sides

Ohh yes yes hardwire cloth on those open parts on the top.

I would say you can easily frame that out yourselves. From the looks of it you might not even need to do a lot of cutting either. I just built my very first coop and I am by far the least talented person when it comes to building... If I can do it you guys sure can.
big_smile.png

just messing around -

79508_coopola.jpg

storage, external nest box and people door with front porch area.

I would do the run off one of the sides, looks like you can take off two of the planks, cut them at the bottom, re attach the tops, and make a chicken door to fit. You could probably even use the bottoms that you cut off, just attach them to a frame.

make sense?

Last edited:
if you use 8ft 2x4 's and 8ft plywood it should be easier. We made the mistake of having random sized sides and had to do lots of cutting. Try to use measurements that the wood already comes in. - I know some of you guys are like "duh", but when its your first building project, this type of knowledge is priceless.

Quote:
Yes it is! Our other two coops are umm.. interesting. That said, all the chickens made it through the winter without getting eaten or frozen so they worked!
tongue.png
We have one that was built from a kid's playhouse and one that was from a shed kit and is being held together by sheer willpower.
smile.png
smile.png
This one already has a head start on those.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom