Building A Coop

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
I am making a coop that is big enough to house more than 13 chickens and hopefully even more. I will post a picture of the real thing when it is made.
Ok, I think that the design is done, yay! A shout out to @DobieLover, @rosemarythyme, @chickentrunks, and @aart, if it was not for you guys my chickens would be living poorly. Thanks. 😄:celebrate

Exterior Coop Design (version 4.5) (I never graphed anything before)

Photo on 4-2-20 at 11.32 PM.jpg

Run (version 2) (Covered run, because of the raven problem)

Photo on 4-2-20 at 9.42 PM.jpg

Coop Interior (Version 1.5)

Photo on 4-3-20 at 9.17 AM #3.jpg

Attachments

• Photo on 4-2-20 at 4.39 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-2-20 at 4.39 PM.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Photo on 4-2-20 at 7.16 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-2-20 at 7.16 PM.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo on 4-2-20 at 8.33 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 4-2-20 at 8.33 PM #2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo on 4-2-20 at 9.29 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-2-20 at 9.29 PM.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I am making a coop that is big enough to house more than 13 chickens and hopefully even more. Am I doing this wrong, is it bad, and how do I add ventilation to this design? Please and thank you.

Exterior Design \/

View attachment 2072709
You can add conventional windows, or leave space at the eaves for ventilation when you install the roof. I like conventional windows because they are easy to install and maintain and discourage flies/etc from making their way in. You can cover them with hardware cloth for predator resistance. IMO it would be desirable to have a larger run if possible - the run seems extremely small for 13+ chickens. Overall looks really solid though!

So you want a 36 sq foot coop for 13 birds maybe more. And the run looks even smaller than the coop.
Unless you are planning on bantams, everything is too small.
You need to shoot for 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. More room, especially in the covered run, is FAR better.
You have no over hangs on your roof and no windows.
One of the easiest places to add ventilation in a coop is between the rafters with corresponding gable and ridge vents. Like this.
2CAA8E144C7F_1583590135191.png

This coop is 8x12 and houses 27 birds but the attached 368 sq ft run is as predator proof as the coop and the pop door is always open so they do very well in that amount of space.

So you want a 36 sq foot coop for 13 birds maybe more. And the run looks even smaller than the coop.
Unless you are planning on bantams, everything is too small.
You need to shoot for 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. More room, especially in the covered run, is FAR better.
You have no over hangs on your roof and no windows.
One of the easiest places to add ventilation in a coop is between the rafters with corresponding gable and ridge vents. Like this.
View attachment 2072756

This coop is 8x12 and houses 27 birds but the attached 368 sq ft run is as predator proof as the coop and the pop door is always open so they do very well in that amount of space.
If his chickens are living exclusively in the coop it's way too small, but if they are only sleeping in there it's plenty large, assuming there's ventilation. You've seen my coop, it's 4x8 for 9 birds right now but there were 15 in there at the start and they were comfy then. The 4 sq ft per bird is really intended for birds that are living in the coop. Of course, more space is better if possible in any scenario. Just my perogative though. 🙃

The run absolutely needs to be bigger. My recommendation - as large as possible. 10 sq ft per bird would be lovely!!!

If his chickens are living exclusively in the coop it's way too small, but if they are only sleeping in there it's plenty large, assuming there's ventilation. You've seen my coop, it's 4x8 for 9 birds right now but there were 15 in there at the start and they were comfy then. The 4 sq ft per bird is really intended for birds that are living in the coop. Of course, more space is better if possible in any scenario. Just my perogative though. 🙃

The run absolutely needs to be bigger. My recommendation - as large as possible. 10 sq ft per bird would be lovely!!!
I disagree. :D
They need more space. Especially considering the OP would like to eventually grow the flock.
It can also be very difficult to get enough roosting space is such a small coop with enough room for the birds to maneuver on and off the roosts.
During the winter, the birds tend to spend much more time in the coop. In the summer they need to be able to spread out more on the roost to open their wings to help them cool off.
Overcrowding is a constant issue that causes a lot of problems.
IMO 10 sq ft per bird is barely cutting it.

I disagree. :D
They need more space. Especially considering the OP would like to eventually grow the flock.
It can also be very difficult to get enough roosting space is such a small coop with enough room for the birds to maneuver on and off the roosts.
During the winter, the birds tend to spend much more time in the coop. In the summer they need to be able to spread out more on the roost to open their wings to help them cool off.
Overcrowding is a constant issue that causes a lot of problems.
IMO 10 sq ft per bird is barely cutting it.
That's cool. I live in Albuquerque and it's pretty temperate here so I'll consider myself lucky - that being said when and if I ever get my land i will definitely be building a better, larger coop more similar to yours - I would like to have closer to 100 chickens at any given time on my land.

Though my coop is small, my run is 30'x35'. So that's a thing 😂

You can add conventional windows, or leave space at the eaves for ventilation when you install the roof. I like conventional windows because they are easy to install and maintain and discourage flies/etc from making their way in. You can cover them with hardware cloth for predator resistance. IMO it would be desirable to have a larger run if possible - the run seems extremely small for 13+ chickens. Overall looks really solid though!
Thanks!
The run is for chicks and when bad weather approaches, only a few like to go outside and I don't want to leave the coop entrance open for predators during that time. Sorry for forgetting to label the run.

The chickens are not living in the coop, it is only for nights. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom