Building a diy incubator, need help with the ventilation holes

Thank you sir, so when you consider adjusting the correct humidity needed, do you also consider ventilation since eggs also need to get enough oxygen and that only results from a proper air ventilation?
Start with 3/8 inch holes or 10 mm which ever you use in opposite corners go from there to adjust humidity make more holes or plug holes

Hey Alireza,

It will take me a bit to look at that design so I may have to come back to it, and reply later.

Also its fun to meet people from other places. This graph below suggests you will have a natural humidity advantage in winter for your area. (Although there may be some variation because you might not be in the capital. I didn't have enough data to find other areas there.)

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,tehran-ir,Iran
Basically semi-desert or arid or dry climates will have higher humidity in winter. But some places like the South won't even be worrying about lack of humidity.

https://weather-and-climate.com/ave...ontgomery-alabama-us,United-States-of-America
I would suspect that much of Europe and the eastern US will have a more level humidity graph line that is probably to the point of even not having to worry about it much, unlike other places.

I have never had embryos die due to a lack of oxygen they simply don't need that much. Also light bulbs continue to put off heat for several seconds after they shut off just like a heating element I have used both over the years I have lost hatches due to light bulbs burning out heating element seemed to last a long time without burning out

I'm a little curious also, do you see much difference in the life time of light bulbs of cheaper light bulbs compared to more expensive ones?

It seems like some of the cost of light bulbs in the stores isn't always justified as real quality, but I wasn't sure if I'm wrong on that.

And is there a specific light bulb that's best for incubator heat for some reason?

Thanks again.

I have never had embryos die due to a lack of oxygen they simply don't need that much. Also light bulbs continue to put off heat for several seconds after they shut off just like a heating element I have used both over the years I have lost hatches due to light bulbs burning out heating element seemed to last a long time without burning out
I have no experience with heating elements thats why I'm a bit concerned about giving it a shot, but thats not the only case, Im very comfortable with electricity, the real issue with elements is if they suddenly die their replacement takes much more time than a light bulb.

Hey Alireza,

It will take me a bit to look at that design so I may have to come back to it, and reply later.

Also its fun to meet people from other places. This graph below suggests you will have a natural humidity advantage in winter for your area. (Although there may be some variation because you might not be in the capital. I didn't have enough data to find other areas there.)

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Humidity-perc,tehran-ir,Iran
Basically semi-desert or arid or dry climates will have higher humidity in winter. But some places like the South won't even be worrying about lack of humidity.

https://weather-and-climate.com/ave...ontgomery-alabama-us,United-States-of-America
I would suspect that much of Europe and the eastern US will have a more level humidity graph line that is probably to the point of even not having to worry about it much, unlike other places.
well im looking forward to see from you again soon...
I do not live in tehran :)

I live in the south of the country, in a very humid town...yeah here in the summer the outside humidity can go up to %80!

I'm making an incubator, but I'm still waiting on my fan. I am using two bulbs, if one goes out, hopefully I catch it before the second blows. I am situating my fan on the side of the cooler, blowing just under the light bulbs, with 10 mm ventilation holes to either side of the fan, and probably two directly across on the other side. Thermostat is even with the fan, and directly under and between the light bulbs. I am following this build somewhat, except I am using a digital thermostat with probe, and a low speed dc fan with an adjustable speed adapter.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-make-a-cooler-incubator.73325/
IncuMark.jpg

Here is what I have done so far.
20200329_164406.jpg
Tupperware with water to hold heat. A Tupperware lid for a humidity tray, and a wire hatching tray I put together. I will run a hose to the tray, out the drain plug and attatch it to a 60ml catheter syringe on the side of the cooler to raise humidity at lockdown, like so.
LL.jpg
hredirect2.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm making an incubator, but I'm still waiting on my fan. I am using two bulbs, if one goes out, hopefully I catch it before the second blows. I am situating my fan on the side of the cooler, blowing just under the light bulbs, with 10 mm ventilation holes to either side of the fan, and probably two directly across on the other side. Thermostat is even with the fan, and directly under and between the light bulbs. I am following this build somewhat, except I am using a digital thermostat with probe, and a low speed dc fan with an adjustable speed adapter.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-make-a-cooler-incubator.73325/View attachment 2067440
Here is what I have done so far. View attachment 2067442Tupperware with water to hold heat. A Tupperware lid for a humidity tray, and a wire hatching tray I put together. I will run a hose to the tray, out the drain plug and attatch it to a 60ml catheter syringe on the side of the cooler to raise humidity at lockdown, like so.
View attachment 2067458View attachment 2067459
That sounds like a nice design, please keep us informed of the process

Well if your humidity is that high you probably won't need to worry about it then. Typically ducks and chickens use less humidity than t
That sounds like a nice design, please keep us informed of the process

I agree it does look pretty nice. Wow.

I'm worried if both lights going at the same time will get too hot though. Maybe you can test the temperatures a bit. (And it seems like testing one of the temperatures after its been going a few hours at night also with buildup is different from a spot check, after its only going a few minutes.)

It looks very clever.

Well if your humidity is that high you probably won't need to worry about it then. Typically ducks and chickens use less humidity than t

I agree it does look pretty nice. Wow.

I'm worried if both lights going at the same time will get too hot though. Maybe you can test the temperatures a bit. (And it seems like testing one of the temperatures after its been going a few hours at night also with buildup is different from a spot check, after its only going a few minutes.)

It looks very clever.
Thanks, I hope it turns out ok. Right now I have tested it with two 40 watt globes, with the probe between the light bulbs, at egg level. It never rises above 100, with the digital thermostat, and kicks back on at 99. I calibrated the thermostat against a medical thermometer using my body temperature, lol. There was at most a .5 degree difference.
20200329_232616.jpg

Back
Top Bottom