Building a hatcher

Kung_pao

Songster
Jan 22, 2023
Im thinking about building a hatcher, that way my incubators stay cleaner. Maybe one that holds 100-150 eggs. I know I could use a cooler, but I would like something that looks nice. I’m open to all designs and ideas. Also any information about ventilation would be appreciated. I’m planning on ordering the

IncuKit™ XL for Cabinet Incubators, with the extra heat/fan.​

I also am thinking about getting the humidikit. I don’t think we can post links but I’ll try.

https://incubatorwarehouse.com/coll...ts/products/incukit-xl?variant=45799435698479

I know I could use a cooler, but I would like something that looks nice.
So like a Yeti cooler?
Just kidding. Have you thought about what dimensions you'd need?
I've thought about making a large one myself. I'd want all eggs on the same level so I wasn't thinking anything that would need a lot of height but for that amount of eggs it'd need sizeable width or depth.
That also had me thinking about air circulation. If it gets deep it would take more fans to cover all the depth. If you go less deep I'd need to be wider. Then you have further you'd have to push the air.
Everything gets more complicated when you go bigger. I think if I ever decide to attempt the project I'd start with a glass top coffee table then completely modify it to something workable.
Big project so if you don't mind I'll hang out and see what suggestions come up. Maybe give me some ideas too.

So like a Yeti cooler?
Just kidding. Have you thought about what dimensions you'd need?
I've thought about making a large one myself. I'd want all eggs on the same level so I wasn't thinking anything that would need a lot of height but for that amount of eggs it'd need sizeable width or depth.
That also had me thinking about air circulation. If it gets deep it would take more fans to cover all the depth. If you go less deep I'd need to be wider. Then you have further you'd have to push the air.
Everything gets more complicated when you go bigger. I think if I ever decide to attempt the project I'd start with a glass top coffee table then completely modify it to something workable.
Big project so if you don't mind I'll hang out and see what suggestions come up. Maybe give me some ideas too.
If you’re buying I’ll use a yeti lol. A cooler is probably my best bet but it would just look bad sitting in the kitchen lol. I’ll keep brainstorming.

You should factor in how many times you will put it to use in a year.

Cause some people just need it every now and then. Then it gets stored for a long while.

Keeping the structure low profile will have more heat stability.

If glass pane is used, don't use it on top, heat will pass through it. Which will destabilize the heat containment.

PC fans are cheap and work well to move air around. Easy to hookup.

You would need a half inch hole on the bottom wall. To bring in fresh air in so the incubator air doesn't get stagnant.

Just something to consider. Understanding how hot air move in a containment will improve your build.

I’m still pondering this. I ordered the Incukit now I just need to hurry up, I have three weeks to get this thing running.

Attachments

• IMG_6748.jpeg
    IMG_6748.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6749.jpeg
    IMG_6749.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6754.jpeg
    IMG_6754.jpeg
    582.3 KB · Views: 4
Assuming you have the container you want to use.

Assemble your tools you will need, plan out where each fixture will be placed. Plus the platform where the eggs will be on. Where your viewing window will be if any.

Im thinking about building a hatcher, that way my incubators stay cleaner. Maybe one that holds 100-150 eggs. I know I could use a cooler, but I would like something that looks nice. I’m open to all designs and ideas. Also any information about ventilation would be appreciated. I’m planning on ordering the

IncuKit™ XL for Cabinet Incubators, with the extra heat/fan.​

I also am thinking about getting the humidikit. I don’t think we can post links but I’ll try.

https://incubatorwarehouse.com/coll...ts/products/incukit-xl?variant=45799435698479

Dedicated hatchers are the way to go. I've built a number of custom wood cabinet style hatcher. 150 eggs in a single layer will make for a sizable foot print but is probably the simpler design to build. Any guess yet as to the dimensions? Curious how evenly the Incukit will distribute air flow/ temp.

Dedicated hatchers are the way to go. I've built a number of custom wood cabinet style hatcher. 150 eggs in a single layer will make for a sizable foot print but is probably the simpler design to build. Any guess yet as to the dimensions? Curious how evenly the Incukit will distribute air flow/ temp.
I bought two fan heaters, hopefully that will get the air circulating. What has been your best design as far as air circulation and keeping temperatures even?

After testing a lot of designs I settled on a cabinet with heaters, fans humidity pan on the top shelf and egg trays below. I was selling them at the time. The typical arrangement i'm sure you've seen. The number of fans, size and speed will determine how well the air flows. In this style cabinet the air flows in a loop. More of a directed air flow verses the chaotic air flow of the fans mounted on the top of a box. Eithe will work. If its you first build I would keep it simple. I'll be interested in what you come up with.

After testing a lot of designs I settled on a cabinet with heaters, fans humidity pan on the top shelf and egg trays below. I was selling them at the time. The typical arrangement i'm sure you've seen. The number of fans, size and speed will determine how well the air flows. In this style cabinet the air flows in a loop. More of a directed air flow verses the chaotic air flow of the fans mounted on the top of a box. Eithe will work. If its you first build I would keep it simple. I'll be interested in what you come up with.
I wonder if there is a way to improve the airflow with them mounted to the top? A single layer hatcher would’ve been the easiest to build but if I’m going to have hot and cold spots that won’t matter.

Back
Top Bottom