Building a mobile run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BairleaFarm, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Since ive lost birds to predictors during the day I am no longer going to free range. I cant afford the lost of another bird. Ive got a mobile coop built and need a run thats mobile. Ive decided to make panels. The lower ones will be 4'x10'.

Pipe - Check

[​IMG]

Wire - Check

This stuff is on discount at lowers. Its Kennel wire and I like working with it.

[​IMG]

Assembly of the frames. - Check

[​IMG]

Ive got a couple done and hope to get the rest done tonight when I defrost.

[​IMG]

2. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    That looks really good. We are also wanting to build a mobile run out of PVC, please keep the pictures coming so we can keep up with your progress.[​IMG]

3. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I moved the run a second time today. Took less than an hour to tear down move the coop and all the panels. Im trying to make it look the least white trash as possible. Words to the wise. When using 1"x10' pvc you need a brace in the middle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. suezqz_64

suezqz_64 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Nice job! I used that same wire, from lowes, 6- 3/4" PVC pipes and 3 - 2X4s to make a 6X12' hoop run very similar to that. It was nice that the wire was 4' wide, as the run was 12' long, 3 passes over the hoops did it and I just made ends with the leftover wire and just twisted the loose ends together to finish it. Secured the wire to the PVC "hoops" with zip ties. I would love to get the coop part on wheels to make moving easier but I don't know how to attach wheels or where to buy them.

5. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I drag my coops. Both are on skids. Harbor Freight or TSC both should have wheels. Ive thought about doing hoops but I have horribly high winds here. I dont think it would last long.

6. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

May I ask? Why 4 x 10 and throw away 4 feet of PVC instead of 5 x 10?

7. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    The wire is 4' Wide. Cheaper the trash 2' of pipe per panel than the time and money spend splicing wire for that extra foot of height.

8. suezqz_64

suezqz_64 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Quote:My coop is too heavy for my son and I to move very far, it's possible but we risk injury when we do, we have a 4X4 cedar shed. I'll check harbor freight, there is one near my house, thank you.

As for hoops in the wind, mine weathered the last hurricane with no problems whatsoever! I did move the coop into the garage for the storm (3 person effort) but the wind went right around the hoops, the 2X4 base made it heavy enough not to move in 85+ mph winds. I was just worried about the PVC cracking in the cold but we haven't had any this fall.

9. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Quote:My big one is to. I use my truck. Does good up to 7mph then it gets to wondering (at least on the road).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by