Building a new bigger coop, will my hens stop laying when moved?

SueMuffin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 30, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
Hello All,
I am building a new coop, considerably larger thank the coop my girls where raised in. The old one just isnt winter friendly and was not build properly. They will now have 8x8 to move around in instead of the 4x3 coop they grew up in. Will this massive space (I only have 6 hens) be too much for them to fathom? What are the chances they will stop laying due to stress? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

They will most likely stop laying from the stress of moving, usually for about 4-6 weeks, sometimes more sometimes less.

I bought 6 pullets that had started laying and were free ranged, I moved them on fri afternoon and sat by 1:00 I had 5 eggs. then it has been any where from 3 to 5 a day since. I have 1 EE that I don't think is laying yet tho, As i am only getting 1 green egg a day. Unless the two I have are only laying every other day. The cinnimon Queens are laying every day. They have and 8 x 8 coop and 155 sq ft run now and not free range.

I was just going to ask this same question, we are also building a new coop and were wondering the same thing. I guess it's just wait and see. Good luck building your new coop.

We recently built a new larger coup and i was worried I would find eggs all over the place the next day or they would stop laying. We pulled down the old coop. I think I only found two eggs not in the new coop for a bout 2 days and none stopped laying.

Last edited:
They might, but mine didn't. It's not nearly as stressfull moving from one structure to another on the same property as a full blown change of address is. I had to lock mine in the new coop/run for two weeks (one wasn't long enough) though because they kept coming back to their former temporary coop--Goofy chooks wanting to go to bed in the chainlink dog run with a rabbit hutch for a coop when they had a brand new 8x12 coop....

I just moved mine to our new coop this past friday and they haven't missed a beat. My seven (of 16) that have started laying regularly are still laying and everyone is laying in nesting boxes, smart girls:D

Back
Top Bottom