Building a new coop

CindyG

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Annapolis County, Nova Scotia
I have had my 8x8 for a few years, and we have just done a new run, actually, not quite finished there, but have taken a break from that and are framing a new coop, I have 18 birds in the downstairs brooder that HAVE to get outside. My husband and I are ok on theory, and I have a nephew who is a carpenter so got some good advice, but MY GOSH it's hard to get stuff level!!!! It took us three days to get to this point but we're on the way now. Of course, some of that time was taken up with moving the composters to another part of the yard. Thank God for lawn tractors!! I've posted a pic too of the "guard cat" keeping watch over the chickens. Also, might be a bit hard to see, but my DH is smiling! I'm the one who got a little cranky today, it's hot and I'm full of heat rash. Oh well, all for the chickens, right?
I'm undecided about putting insulation under the floor, as I plan to keep at least 6" of shavings there, and more in the winter, what do you all think? I live on the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia, winters get cold, but not for long extended periods, we tend more to up and down temps, and damp. I'll also be using a heat lamp in there in the winter. This coop is 24'x8', I'll have a large main coop area on one end, a narrow storage area and then I'm going to put some individual cages on the other end for breeding, broody and my Seramas. Anyone got a good floor plan to share? Thanks, Cindy
54373_dscn4094.jpg
54373_dscn4092.jpg
54373_dscn4096.jpg
54373_dscn4097.jpg

wow - nice construction. Gonna cost you a pretty penny, but will be soooooo worth it in the end. I know what you mean about getting it level and square. It's important, though, and worthwhile to spend time to get it right from the start.

Just for reference, I chose not to insulate the floor. I was concerned about inviting problems with critters. After two winters (we get down to -25F, but normal winter temps are in the 0-10F range) and deep litter, I can see that it's fine. In the wintertime I keep the litter around 9-12 inches on the floor. I use heat, but decided to use a ceramic heat emitter over the roost so they could warm up and stay toasty at night. It doesn't warm the air much, but provides radiant heat to surfaces (ie: chickens) below the bulb. I hardwired it over the roost and used metal exterior light fixtures (remember to get ones with a ceramic socket) so that the fire hazard was significantly reduced.

Look'n good!

24'x8', whoever said chickens were addictive? I have fought level and square all my life but it looks like you are off too a good start. I see you also chose to ignor the build first then get the chicks rule. Keep up the good work.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom