1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    OK we are in the process of building a new run for my 2 girls. My sweet hubby thinks you can just build it and thats it. I tell him they have to have shade while they are in it. They free range most the time but we had a hawk experience and are going to have to keep them in it while we cant be outside with them. Anyway i have tarps onour other one and hes like i dont want tarps on the new one. well i dont either but hello they HAVE to have shade in the summer. Any other alternitives, besides tapr and tin?

2. prescott2k

prescott2k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Dixon, CA
    The only thought I had was to maybe use some of that pet mesh that they sell at home depot. It ranges anywhere from $60 a roll up to $300, depending on your needs. The company that I found on their website is named "Phifer". I don't know how well this stuff holds up to the weather and such but hopefully it points you in a useful direction. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    I have used shade cloth from Lowe's and it has held up well for 2 years now. It's usually in the gardening section and comes in 2 different colors. They also sell the "things" you need to attach it to your coop. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

4. blessedchick

blessedchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2011
    I purchased shade cloth from Gempler's online for my parrot's aviary a couple of years ago. I also just purchase it for my guinea's pen - a 12 x 10 section for 70% shade runs $21.95 and it holds up really well. I just used cable ties to fasten to my aviary and it was a piece of cake!

5. pickledchicken

pickledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Sparta Tn.
    Greenhouse shade cloth is very useful for this Growers Solution carries a very nice brand in various degrees of shading. www.growerssolution.com

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  6. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    shade cloth x4 unless you have room to plant some bushes etc they might like laying under or eating from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by