Building a pond - step by step - mostly complete post71

thumbsup.gif
Looking good. Cant wait for the end result and photos of them in it
pop.gif
caf.gif

Before i installed a drain in my kiddie pool, i used a sump pump. If you don't need to drain and refill very often, a sump pump is fine. With our kiddie pool, it got to be a pain for me to pump it out every day.

i think your set-up is awesome. Looking forward to seeing how you will set up your filter. We have a larger pond form we will be installing at some point and i really wanted to do a skippy type filter for it. i'm debating also if i should put a drain in it or just count on the filter to work and a sump pump for when we need to drain it.

What a great idea. I wish I had thought about this before I dug out my pond for my ducks. It would have been so much easier and so much better. Haha! Great job though!
wink.png

Quote:
Put a drain in it. We contemplated just a sump idea and then I was thinking, i don't want to have to suck it all out when I want to clean it, I may just want to blast it with a hose and go from there, so what's one more drain LOL

DH said he's voting for me being brave and having it done when he gets home.
I said he'd prefer it being running by the time he gets home and if it is, there will be 5 little ducklings swimming in there lol

His response:
As long as 2 are wild and fly away tonight.

I don't think he realized the 5 ducklings were itty bitty ones, not the 3 ducklets in the backyard already LOL

Good luck with the skippy filter. I have 6 ducks and ~1100 gallon pond I made for them. It can not keep up. I added a uv filter and pump to it recently and it is keeping it from smelling but it is still green. I'm going to add plants to the filter and give it some more time.

drain and plumbing for that drain installed.
Can start adding water tomorrow and work on pinning the liner to the top boards.

normal shower drain with a kind of bulk head fitting on back so liner is sealed with silicone to the underside of the drain top and then gaskets and twisted to a tight seal from the underside and then attached into the piping under the pond and out to the other side where here is a ball valve so I can close/open the drain.
IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

I had a setup like that drain...but you might want to take the drain grill off. It clogs otherwise and you will be constantly having to knock the clogs while draining, leaves, sticks, rocks (if they put rocks in it like my geese did). Mine did leak the 2nd year from ground heaving, because I forgot to put sand under the pool (it was hardshell).

Back
Top Bottom