Building a Quail Hutch **UPDATE** Finished! Photo-Heavy

Quote:
Sounds like a plan Jason! My mom also lives in Citrus Heights
smile.png
I have A&M eggs in the incubator from Pop on here.. should hatch this week. Also have 5 week old Jumbo browns and goldens from Tori in AK that should start laying soon. I need to build another quail coop... heheheee

Nancy

Thank you for the great idea for a quail hutch.. I might make mine a 3 story.. But maybe not.. I was thinking if you make a bigger spot for where your poop trays go. You can buy the short wrapping paper rubbermaid storage things and place them under to catch poo.. And at the same time you could raise red wigglers in the bins. Eat the poo as the poo is being made.. But also add your vegi scraps to it to.. Raise two things in the same area.. Do you think it would work..

I hope that all makes since..

Last edited:
Hey I saw that a few people were concerned with the heat out there. Well we regularly hit 115 in the summer and it is so hot the tar in the streets re-melts- but the gal I got my birds from has Coturnix in rabbit hutches outdoors and still gets 5 eggs a week from her birds. They just need shade and plenty of water, and there are other tricks to keep them cool in the summer...

A lot of us out in AZ put 2 liter bottles in the freezer and then set them in the pen during the day so they can cuddle up to it to keep cool. Of course, the ice doesn't last long in the summer- but it's better than nothing!
smile.png
some people even put misters or the misting fans on their coops!

That's an awesome setup by the way! I should be finishing mine sometime this week and should be able to post pictures soon- but yours makes mine look silly
smile.png
congrats again!

Awesome hutch!!!! Not real big on the color though. Us Manly Men would need something in a camo or just a brown or something. I`m just messin with ya, I have a similar design only my roof slopes down in front, and the back and sides are solid. Out here in the midwest winters can get frosty. The cold is easy to deal with and quail are hearty enough, its keeping out the draft thats important. If you know of a deli or bakery near you, they have those either plastic/fiber sheet pans, or aluminum ones. They make outstanding dropping pans. You`re gonna have the happy quail to go with the happy cows. I`ve got bout 5 dozen of the little buggers in mine give or take? Have fun

Quote:
Yup, definately need egg catchers to simplify life. Below is a pic of mine....not ANYWHERE near as pretty as yours, but it does function. I intentionally kept the height low in order to prevent the little fellows from bonking their heads. Too much height = dead quail!!!

I also havent't added any shade areas because at this point i just keep them in my garage out of direct sun and away from the not so friendly critters.

39893_feeder_pic.jpg

Quote:
Totally off topic but I used to live in Mesa--Dobson Ranch. It used to be a bet when I went to ASU that you went from an outsider to a new native if you could walk across University there at light at Manzanita Residence Hall barefooted on the 4th of July.

I made it but with major blisters!!

Quote:
Yup, definately need egg catchers to simplify life. Below is a pic of mine....not ANYWHERE near as pretty as yours, but it does function. I intentionally kept the height low in order to prevent the little fellows from bonking their heads. Too much height = dead quail!!!

I also havent't added any shade areas because at this point i just keep them in my garage out of direct sun and away from the not so friendly critters.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39893_feeder_pic.jpg

Those look like renegaderidgefarms quail colony pen plans with some modifications nice job lol. How much did that wood stand cost to make? and what did you use to catch their droppings

yeah, those are renegade ridge cages....i just wasn't sure if i was allowed to put that up here with the rules and such.

well, i got lucky with the wood....found a pile on craigslist for $50. so far i've made 4 stands and have enough for 3-4 more. The lumber itself was 2x6, but i ripped it in half to cut down on weight. quail don't weigh too much anyway, so they shouldn't break it. if you had to purchase the wood, i'd guess around $40 or so. ya know, i just had a thought...you might be able to call a deck builder in your area and ask him what he/she does with the old decks. they might just give it to you to haul off and dismantle at your leisure.

the poop catchers are 55 gal drums cut lengthwise and another cut lengthwise with the ends removed to fill the center gap. I took some scrap wood and carefully lined them up and screwed them all together.

Quote:
Totally off topic but I used to live in Mesa--Dobson Ranch. It used to be a bet when I went to ASU that you went from an outsider to a new native if you could walk across University there at light at Manzanita Residence Hall barefooted on the 4th of July.

I made it but with major blisters!!

wow cool
frow.gif
nice to see people from Mesa on here! My b/f lives in the neighborhood just south of dobson ranch- and I am 8th st and westwood! Howdy neighbor! Wow so you really did it?
bow.gif
You are tough! I moved to AZ after college but went to Kansas State University and the natives there would wear flip flops and shorts in the snow! (I was bundled from head to toe...don't miss snow at all!)

nice thread jacking!
smile.png
sorry bout the interruption- now back on topic...

Fitzy- I can really dig your setup- do you hose out those drums that you use for poo-catchers? I'd imagine if you held the hose at the wrong angle poo would go everywhere! LOL

(edit- to return to thread topic
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom