Building a ramp.

Even if a coon or possum managed to climb the legs of the platform the coop sits on, there's nothing for them to stand on while they work at getting the door open.
Not many coons around here, too many coyotes, and even if one did get into the run, that door is not opening.
Door edges are contained and there's a 1/4" rod going thru a double stud and over the door.
upload_2018-5-20_8-31-11.png

Pretty slick! You're obviously better at bending conduit than I am after my single attempt.
Oh I screwed up 3 pieces before I figured it out...and none of them were perfect, but the design allowed for some 'flexibility'.

Not many coons around here, too many coyotes, and even if one did get into the run, that door is not opening.
Door edges are contained and there's a 1/4" rod going thru a double stud and over the door.
View attachment 1396749

Oh I screwed up 3 pieces before I figured it out...and none of them were perfect, but the design allowed for some 'flexibility'.
I was trying to build a chicken tractor for the first time, from plans a fellow BYC'er put me on to, and they called for conduit. I'd never attempted to work with conduit before. Let's just say the pipe bender lives in the corner now, and the conduit morphed into PVC pipe (which I don't recommend for that application).

i used an old louver door in mine - has slats and adds shade to a pretty sunny area in my yard. Since I am in the city I can't free range them, but have made each item dual purpose, ramp/door = shade and "resting" area (they like to sleep on the bottom rungs, lol)

Attachments

• run from north.jpg
    run from north.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
I remember this one!
Thought it was clever but might be hard to clean,
especially here where the snow would make a real mess of it.
Can you post a current pic?
Here's a couple of current photos. I think it's been 5 years since I've hosed it down.
No snow here. For most of the last year my two birds were confined to the sand filled run. Too many hawks. A couple of months ago I extended the run over dirt, so they now how access to better digging.
I think the elevation at the top is about 28" IMG_1671.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1673.jpg
    IMG_1673.jpg
    986.8 KB · Views: 19
Will a big height for jumping really work for little chicks? We haven't used a ramp so far, but I was planning to build one soon, since we have chicks in the coop and I'd like to get them integrated, but I'm worried about letting them out without a way to jump back in. I was assuming a ramp would be necessary.
That can be a problem depending on how old the chicks are and how high the distance. 2-3 week old chicks can fly up 2' pretty easily.

Wanted to add this pic to show why ramp is at a right angle.
Foyer! Old slider panels used as a wind break,
pop door faces west from where wicked winter winds come.
View attachment 1394761

Did you have to train the chickens to the sideways ramp at all? I just built a ramp in sort of this configuration (though perhaps at a steeper angle--Maybe that's the problem--I'll get a picture later). My husband is convinced they will never, ever use it. One reason he cites is that it is sort of close to the wall; the ramp is ~8" wide, about 5" from the wall of the coop). How close is yours to the wall?

Right now, the chickens use the people door, propped open, which is about 2' off the ground. We have two week old chicks, but they can barely jump the 14" to get out of their box in their coop, let alone jumping in the people door. I want the chickens (especially mama) to learn to use the ramp, so I can keep the people door closed, but they clearly aren't doing it.

I go for a wide ramp. Why?? Well when a hen has baby chickens, I noticed that they follow her in a V shape. So the baby's at the far left and right side miss the ramp complete so I have to pick them up and renunite them with their mam again. By making the ramp wider the flock stays together. Does nobody have that experience???

Did you have to train the chickens to the sideways ramp at all? I just built a ramp in sort of this configuration (though perhaps at a steeper angle--Maybe that's the problem--I'll get a picture later). My husband is convinced they will never, ever use it. One reason he cites is that it is sort of close to the wall; the ramp is ~8" wide, about 5" from the wall of the coop). How close is yours to the wall?

Right now, the chickens use the people door, propped open, which is about 2' off the ground. We have two week old chicks, but they can barely jump the 14" to get out of their box in their coop, let alone jumping in the people door. I want the chickens (especially mama) to learn to use the ramp, so I can keep the people door closed, but they clearly aren't doing it.
Nope, didn't really need to train them, my first flock were adults(formerly free ranged) and after 2 weeks in the coop while I finished building the run they were ready for some fresh air and ground to scratch up into a dust bath. I opened the pop door and the cockbird lead them down the ramp, I probably used grains and some vocalizations tho.

It's close, a couple inches, but soon goes below the wall as you can see in pic.
Steepness, and number of cleats is important, they don't much like sliding when descending the ramp.

I feel that chickens often need to be coerced into doing what you want them to do by manipulating their environment and taking advantage of their instinctual curiosity....and 'hunger'.
If you want them to use the ramp, leave that door closed so they have no other choice but to use the ramp...then use the enticement of scratch grains or what ever treat that will make them overcome their fear of the 'new thing' with the desire to eat treats.

I add a 'training ramp' for chicks...sprinkling ramps with scratch grains was irresistible once they saw them there, took just a half a day for them to be scrambling up and down it.
Now the bigger ramp here is steeper than I usually recommend and the cleats are too far spaced also, but the scratch grains spurred them to overcome those aspects.
upload_2018-5-22_11-35-39.png

Nope, didn't really need to train them, my first flock were adults(formerly free ranged) and after 2 weeks in the coop while I finished building the run they were ready for some fresh air and ground to scratch up into a dust bath. I opened the pop door and the cockbird lead them down the ramp, I probably used grains and some vocalizations tho.

It's close, a couple inches, but soon goes below the wall as you can see in pic.
Steepness, and number of cleats is important, they don't much like sliding when descending the ramp.

I feel that chickens often need to be coerced into doing what you want them to do by manipulating their environment and taking advantage of their instinctual curiosity....and 'hunger'.
If you want them to use the ramp, leave that door closed so they have no other choice but to use the ramp...then use the enticement of scratch grains or what ever treat that will make them overcome their fear of the 'new thing' with the desire to eat treats.

I add a 'training ramp' for chicks...sprinkling ramps with scratch grains was irresistible once they saw them there, took just a half a day for them to be scrambling up and down it.
Now the bigger ramp here is steeper than I usually recommend and the cleats are too far spaced also, but the scratch grains spurred them to overcome those aspects.
View attachment 1399689

That is super helpful! I was thinking about scratch but hadn't done it yet. The ramp is a little on the steep side; I might try sticking another concrete block or so underneath it. The problem isn't not leaving--I open the door and they fly out, no need to bother with ramps at all! It's the coming in to lay we're worried about. Plus the chicks--But since the run isn't yet done, it's not really safe for them to leave the coop at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom