Building a run for my chickens!

Dec 7, 2020
Hi, after some sad chicken deaths, I decided the best thing to do for my darling birds would be to build a extension, or run, on their coop to prevent more deaths. If anybody who has been through this process knows any tips, like the best supplies, it would help! I will include a picture of my coop below! Thanks!

Attachments

• 1485300.jpeg
    1485300.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 9
I strongly recommend that you make the run walk-in height. The run on my first coop was only half-high and it was murderous to get in there to clean.

Use hardware cloth, not chicken wire and fasten it VERY securely. I have a place in my hardware cloth where some predator -- either a dog or a large raccoon -- *almost* tore through the hardware cloth. It would certainly have gone straight through chicken wire.

I strongly recommend that you make the run walk-in height. The run on my first coop was only half-high and it was murderous to get in there to clean.

Use hardware cloth, not chicken wire and fasten it VERY securely. I have a place in my hardware cloth where some predator -- either a dog or a large raccoon -- *almost* tore through the hardware cloth. It would certainly have gone straight through chicken wire.
Thabk you we were planning on using Chicken wire so this was a big help!

if i was adding a run, no doubt about it i'd build one of those cattle panel half-hoops .. for yours i'd frame it out right to the front of that .. i'd cover it with corrugated roofing metal lengthwise down to about 3' and run hardware cloth around the bottom ..i'd probably dig it out some once it was built, wire the bottom with 1" chicken wire and then back fill it with sand ...

Back
Top Bottom