Building an in-ground pond.... any tips to make it chicken safe?

I can't wait, I plan to pipe in off the well with a float also so that it stays full all year. I'm hoping that my chicken/duck yard will eventually be kind of a mini-orchard with fruit trees, grape vines and other edible plants for them and us.

I'm very excited for you! 🥳 🥳

Please keep us updated and post lots of pics!! :)

I want to get ducks, a lot, I mean a lot a lot :D I don't really want to go the kiddie pool route and the pond is what's holding me back. I've picked up a couple of different fountain bottoms but nothing big enough to be the main pond.

Asked about the filter because I've been reading about pond bog filters as a means to keep it clean.

I’m thinking around 8-12 ft diameter. It would be around 2000 gallons. I’m planning on having a submersible pump with a fountain n the center. Probably would line it with a traditional pond liner and then place rock on top of that.
I'd skip the rocks, gonna be very hard to get the poop out from between them.
Make a low spot in the middle where you can put a trash pump a few times a year.

Chickens won't go into the water on their own. In a confined run they can accidentally fall in or get pushed in during squables but with that much room you should not have that problem. The fountain is an excellent idea and a must to avoid stagnation. Even so you, make sure your pond has an adequate drainage area to it for natural refilling. A spillway to prevent overflow. The spillway will also allow the pond to be "flushed" out occasionally to help kepp the water fresh

Back
Top Bottom