Building an Incubator, I have Question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by n2thestorm5032, Jul 7, 2008.

1. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

What are those things called that will shut off the heat when it gets to hot, I know its called a thermostat, but can you hook a thermostat up to light bulb cord and have it shut off when it is supposed to, or can you use a regular thermostat, or do is there an electrical heat timer thing!

So if anyone can understand what I said, lol please help me!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Look at the incubator in my signature line.

3. ericbrbr

ericbrbr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Tennessee
    If you are talking about using a thermostat like out of a house, then no you cant do this it will not carry the load. Here is my home made bator I used a thermostat for a little giant. It cost like $30 on eBay. Notice I have it mounted in the right of the pic under my fan. It holds temp very well.

[​IMG]

4. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    ericbrbr, are you going into the hatchery business? Just curious, cause you made such a giant bator and spent so much money on it.

5. ericbrbr

Jun 28, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thats is only a fraction of what a New cabinet style would cost. I have already got several orders to hatch locally on the halves. So I would say "yes" small time. Thanks

6. Alabama_boy

Alabama_boy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Lancaster County, SC
    ericbrbr
    Does your incubator use light bulb for the heat element?

7. ericbrbr

Jun 28, 2008
    Tennessee
    Yes I do use light bulbs for heat. When I first completed the incubator I ran it on one bulb to make sure that one could heat the entire bator in case of the other bulb burning out. I would always recommmend using atleast 2 bulbs because they wont last forever. I just added my humidity pail yesterday. I had to put some 3/4" dowels in the bottom of the pan to make legs due to the little space I have. It looks very large but it is an older smaller fridge. At first I thought it would be to small but I like the size because I got everything in it that I had planned and takes up little space. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Alabama_boy

Alabama_boy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Lancaster County, SC
    Quote:Thanks for the info it looks great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by