Building an Incubator

Pics

CapricornFarm

Pottery producing maniac
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 1, 2010
Southern Virginia
I have a Brinsea 20 Octagon and a new Incuview but its just not enough space. So rather than spend a whole lot of money on another commercial incubator i decided to make my own. I figure i need a container, a fan, a thermostat and a heat source. Follow along and see how i screw up along the way.

20180330_180322.jpg
So far i bought a storage bin, cut holes in it for viewing windows and installed the top window with caulk.

You have the right idea, but the wrong angle. Your storage bin won't hold temperature for very long, which will result in rapid cycling of your heat source. Try using either an ice chest or styrofoam cooler. The insulating properties of these works perfecly for this.
Here's a video that explains it all :
And this video shows how to wire it all up :
Hope this helps.

I cut four pieces of styrofoam so far. I used a straight edge and a serrated knife. To figure out where the hole for the window should be , i stuck long nails through until i could see where the corners were. So just the bottom and a small piece for the top left to cut from the sheet of Styrofoam.

I’m following along too. Will you be making a turner also?
Hi Alley! Good to have you along! I am planning to make a turner. It will be hand operated but much quicker than turning each egg. I ordered plastic egg trays from GQF for chicken or guinea eggs and some for quail eggs.

You have the right idea, but the wrong angle. Your storage bin won't hold temperature for very long, which will result in rapid cycling of your heat source. Try using either an ice chest or styrofoam cooler. The insulating properties of these works perfecly for this.
Here's a video that explains it all :
And this video shows how to wire it all up :
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info.

20180331_165302.jpg
View in the side window.
20180331_165315.jpg
Interior of the storage bin. I love all those channels, where water can go.
Note the holes high up on the end. Drilled with 1/4" paddle bit through plastic and styrofoam.
20180331_165403.jpg
Styrofoam cut, and taped in place with duct tape. I like the foil side of the styrofoam out. I taped over anyplace where bits of styrofoam might come out, don't want that stuff all over the house.

Back
Top Bottom