Building an "Old Style" henhouse.....move in day!....... (pics)

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong, I am making mostly assumptions. Mostly based on the few friends that I have with Modular homes (osb floors). Almost every one of their floors have rotted out within a few years around the stool. Sure most likely faulty construction but I wasn't impressed with the way the "wood" held up when subjected to moisture.

I had a few weeks last summer that my water fount was leaking. I just thought the girls were thirsty. Until my deep liter was soaked entirely. Just hate to see something so beautiful get destroyed prematurely Steve!

CARS,

Is it just me or is there a problem with that link you posted? I can't seem to get any of the listed plans to work. Nor do any of the other links on there. All I can make work is the NDSU link.

The list of plans sounds really good. I just can't seem to access them! Just a little bit of frustration here...

Steve,

Fabulous! Nice work. I only hope that my attempt will be half as nice as yours is looking. Gambrel roof is more along my lines. But I was looking at something similar to yours until I expanded my poultry plans to include pigeons in a loft as well.

Keep the pics coming. We all love 'em.

Thanks everybody for the positive comments.

Since the issue of o.s.b. has been asked again.....I am going to give my thoughts and reasoning and then be done with it. Perhaps the debate would be better in a seperate thread.

I am sure that osb is not the best choice in all. I personally think concrete would be, it is permanent and extremely durable, but there have been those who have claimed faults with it. Since this is a mobile henhouse on skids, concrete is not an option.

The use of composite deck boards over top of the joists would be an option, they would be durable and stable, however the spacing between boards would cause an area for water to drip through causing rot to the floor joists. Anyone ever replacing floor joists knows it is a far bigger pain in the cheeks to replace those, than to replace a little bit of floor sheething.

I have just osb in my current coop, I have yet to see any problems, not to say there could not be since it is uncovered, I keep the area clean and well bedded in shavings. Since this new henhouse will have linoleum on top of the osb, I am confident I will be fine, unless I decide to put in a swimming pool for the birds to splash water on the floor and not clean it up.

One last thing, when we own a piece of property, in this case a henhouse....it is our responsibility to maintain it same as we would our home. Keep it clean and inspect for anything needing attention. I have replaced floors in a few customers bathrooms, and can tell you it took me less than a day to remove the toilet, cut away the offending material and replace with new material......I would think replacing the same in the henhouse IF it ever came to that would be no big deal for me to repair.

Quote:
Yes, I have not decided on how much of an area I will allow for a seperate pen that could serve as a breeding pen, or a place for the new ones out of the brooder to be first introduced to the flock.

And, yes folks I will continue to post pics as this henhouse progresses right to the end, probably need some of your input on how to better arrange the inside......so hang in there with me.
big_smile.png

Just my 2 cents worth....OSB has come along ways over the years, the new glues formula's make it a better product, the size of the chip and over all process of manufacturing....it is a "Green Product", suing wood that before was waste...it does has it's applications, besides one must look at his budget.
We handymen seem to have the Tim Allen syndrome....BIGGER, BETTER, MORE POWER ...as I get older, anything I build will last a lot longer than me. You did a fantastic job, and your talents show in your construction....I want to see more pic's however, thanks for sharing yours........Happy Hatch'en

Beautiful coop. What is the reason for the 2 levels in the roof? If it is something to do with snow load, I am all ears.

Quote:
I clicked it this morning and it opened. Don't know what to tell you.

Wonderful plans there. A gold mine. Here is what may be a silly question: Is there any way to make the print bigger so I can read and understand it better?

CARS,

Thanks. You are right. It seems to work fine this morning. Might have been something to do with their server. It being part of a university system, shutdowns are pretty normal.

Thanks again for the great link. That straw barn for poultry is impressive(end of list). I would hate to try and maintain it though.

Buster,

There should be something right above the image on your browser that shows a percentage. This is a pulldown that gives you the ability to zoom in and out. Or use the +/- buttons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom